Message Board Question

Toronto Newf

Hi What is the best way to get a message board on a website.

are there good templates of ones pre-done that I can just modify. Any
websites would be appreciated

What would I need to do to setup a message board myself from scratch. What
programming language and other technologies would I need. Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks

Roy Schestowitz

Toronto said:
Hi What is the best way to get a message board on a website.

are there good templates of ones pre-done that I can just modify. Any
websites would be appreciated

What would I need to do to setup a message board myself from scratch.
What programming language and other technologies would I need. Any help
would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you have database capabilities on your domain, use one of the many
bulletin board installations which are out there. The effort that goes into
this is minimal.

A popular one is phpBB: http://www.phpbb.com/

A less popular one of a community that's close to my heart is bbPress:
http://bbpress.org/

If you have no databases available, you can try PhpWiki which supports
alternatives to a database.

http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/

Hope it helps,

Roy

Toronto Newf

thanks I will check these out.
Roy Schestowitz said:
If you have database capabilities on your domain, use one of the many
bulletin board installations which are out there. The effort that goes
into
this is minimal.

A popular one is phpBB: http://www.phpbb.com/

A less popular one of a community that's close to my heart is bbPress:
http://bbpress.org/

If you have no databases available, you can try PhpWiki which supports
alternatives to a database.

http://phpwiki.sourceforge.net/

Hope it helps,

Roy

Uncle Pirate

Jan said:
Roy Schestowitz ... output:

Is it Bulletin Board? Looks like so.

American slang based on a popular movie (can't remember name). Baby,
drawn out to sound like: "php baaaabeee!"

Coordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg

Roy Schestowitz

Jan said:
Roy Schestowitz ... output:

Topics 0
Posts 0

a hard beginning.

This took less than a minute to install and less than an hour to customise.
The page is not quite public. I wanted to prove to myself that phpBB
installation was simple and maybe make use of it some time in the future. I
already use private Wikis for communication and that is what counts.

Roy