Subject: ♡◇◎◇♡Hot sale Fashion Lady Handbags
Juicy,Burberry,Gucci,LV,Prada,D&G,Edhardy,Chanel,Coach, Jimmy-Hoo
â—†www.nikejordanshoe.comâ—†
From: (e-mail address removed)
Date: 7:15 PM
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c++

Randy

DearSirs!

Somebody with the name of "Selina peng" is abusing the group
comp.lang.c++

Hundreds of messages of advertising for sunglasses, jordan shoes,
Gucci, and other rubish are being sent by this person every day.

Please STOP THIS.
Here are some details of ONE out of several hundred messages:
[snip]

Yes, what can we do to stop this flood of spam? Both clc++ and clc
are being flooded with spam advertising to the point that it is making
it difficult to use these useful groups.

I personally have been on a daily campaign to report the spam
advertising, but it seems to be having little effect thus far.

Perhaps if more of us join in reporting the spam we can flood Google
Groups with enough complaints that something will actually be done?

May be worth a try. Don't accept the spam. Complain.

Default User

Randy wrote:

Yes, what can we do to stop this flood of spam? Both clc++ and clc
are being flooded with spam advertising to the point that it is making
it difficult to use these useful groups.

Get a real news service. Seriously. I see no spam at all, because my
service takes care of it at the source.

Brian

Andy said:
I see the spam here - but none anywhere else. At least not to the
extent it is in this group.

http://news.individual.net seems to be getting it all. Looks like you
use Giganews. You might float a query to them.
Sadly Thunderbird's filters for newsgroups seem to be broken :(

They don't have the best filtering capability, but you should be able
to create some that get the majority. Before NIN started using their
server filters, I was making ones with XanaNews to filter out the
obvious shoe and Gucci ones. Obviously Thunderbird won't do that on its
own.

Brian

stan

Default said:
Get a real news service. Seriously. I see no spam at all, because my
service takes care of it at the source.

Filters are a work around not a solution. Even the best filters can and
will get fooled sometimes and pass spam or catch a valid post. Google's
attitude toward this kind of thing is a problem no filter will ever
address.

Bandwidth is not free or unlimited. SPAM is neither harmless or free.
Unfortunately, telling Google is about as effective as throwing
marshmellows at a turtle. Google cant stop SPAM but doing nothing is a
very bad answer.

So as not to be completely off topic, has anyone ever written a program
or filter that would automatiaclly notify orgs like Google every time
they see a SPAM? Maybe if Google got a email from every newserver
everytime a Google SPAM is filtered it might get Google's attention.
Probably not.

On the other hand it does make it easy for me. Typically I filter every
post from Google. I found it not only removes nearly all SPAM
but it improves the signal to noise ratio dramatically.

Kai-Uwe Bux

Randy wrote:

Get a real news service. Seriously. I see no spam at all, because my
service takes care of it at the source.

Your service has employees hunting down and shooting spamers? Wow!

Best

Kai-Uwe Bux

osmium

stan said:
[...]

A million marshmallows will be no more effective than one marshmallow. A
technique that might work would be if everyone would filter out all posts
from Google, as you do. Google groups would eventually *be* Google groups -
as they would have you believe - the unwashed talking to the unwashed.
These abandoned people would gradually realize this wasn't working and
discover Usenet Newsgroups, and figure out a way to access these magic
groups.

stan said:
On the other hand it does make it easy for me. Typically I filter
every post from Google. I found it not only removes nearly all SPAM
but it improves the signal to noise ratio dramatically.

Way too much collateral damage.

Brian

stan said:
making >> it difficult to use these useful groups.

Filters are a work around not a solution. Even the best filters can
and will get fooled sometimes and pass spam or catch a valid post.
Google's attitude toward this kind of thing is a problem no filter
will ever address.

NIN's filters get almost everything. I haven't seen the institutional
spam in quite a while. Google could use the same filtering program NIN
does, and the problem would basically disappear for everyone.

Brian

Jonathan Lee

Yes, what can we do to stop this flood of spam?

I suppose if we all learned to love Prada bags and Air Jordan shoes
then it wouldn't be spam any more... just off topic :)

--Jonathan

jacob navia

There was not any answer at all from google. The spam
goes on.

Google: The first and biggest spammer on the web