Messages from FreezeThaw of a DBI handle

Louis Erickson

Our news server wasn't letting messages get out when I wrote this,
and I thought it might help someone else who had this problem, so I'm
reposting it.

I hope it's helpful.

: Digging around, I found several comments about this on the 'net, but didn't
: find a really conclusive discovery of what caused it, and thought I'd share
: what I found with the group, and with the archives.

: Forgive me if this is common knowledge. It was filling up my Apache logs,
: and I had to fiddle with it for a couple of hours to find it, and I thought
: maybe I'd save someone the time. =)

: If you FreezeThaw a database handle from DBI, then you'll get some strange
: errors to STDOUT when you thaw it. They look like this:

: SV = RV(0x879ced0) at 0xbffff710
: REFCNT = 1
: FLAGS = (ROK,READONLY)
: RV = 0x87a3ea4

: I don't know what generates them or why, but if you don't thaw the database
: handle, they don't occur.

: My workaround was to remove the database handle from the hash I was freezing,
: and put it back after I had done so. That way, it wasn't there when I tried
: to thaw it.

: This seemed to affect both Linux with Perl 5.6.0 and Windows with ActiveState
: Perl 5.6.1.

: Hope it helps someone, and if someone knows a better solution, I'd be happy
: to hear it!

: Thanks!