Messed up Mac installation

Christopher Brewster

Are there instructions somewhere online as to how to sort out a messed
up installation of Python on a Mac?
I have a 2 month old Macbook running Snow Leopard, I installed Python
2.7.1 some time ago. Now when I run 'python' this is what it shows.
But easy_install and pip are installing modules to the python2.6
(which shipped with the OS). If I run 'python2.6' then I have access
to the modules installed with pip.

Oh and weirdly if I tell pip to uninstall modules it says the module
does not exist. For example: "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.7/bin/pip run on Tue Aug 16 11:46:28 2011
Cannot uninstall requirement reportlab, not installed"

So why is it installing to one place (the 2.6 library) and trying to
uninstall elsewhere (the 2.7 library)?

I know this has been discussed many times but I do not know how to
track this down.
Thanks for any pointers.

Christopher

aspineux

Are there instructions somewhere online as to how to sort out a messed
up installation of Python on a Mac?
I have a 2 month old Macbook running Snow Leopard, I installed Python
2.7.1 some time ago. Now when I run 'python' this is what it shows.
But easy_install and pip are installing modules to the python2.6
(which shipped with the OS). If I run 'python2.6' then I have access
to the modules installed with pip.

pip and easy_install work on directory hierarchy of the running
python.

then the idea (just the idea, not read sample)

python2.7 pip.py **** will install into python2.7 directories
python2.7 easy_install.py **** will install into python2.7 directories

python2.6 pip.py **** will install into python2.6 directories
python2.6 easy_install.py **** will install into python2.6 directories

For example (real this time) to install easy_install for your 2.7

wget http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py
python2.7 ez_setup.py

Oh and weirdly if I tell pip to uninstall modules it says the module
does not exist. For example: "/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/
Versions/2.7/bin/pip run on Tue Aug 16 11:46:28 2011
Cannot uninstall requirement reportlab, not installed"

Probably because you run installed pip from python2.7 directory, that
certainly use python2.7 binary,
and then pip uninstall from python2.7 directories
So why is it installing to one place (the 2.6 library) and trying to
uninstall elsewhere (the 2.7 library)?

Because you are no using the same pip/easy_install to install or
uninstall (or at least the python binary is not the same)

fmder1

Checkout Homebrew. It can install in a very easy and clean way different version of Python (as well as a lot of other stuff). It tried for a long time to keep my Mac clean and this is so far the best I found.