[Meta] Move comp.lang.ruby to moderation / message filtering?

Phillip Gawlowski

All,

I don't know about you, but the amount of spam received via the Usenet
group is getting tiresomes.

Thus, I'd propose to move comp.land.ruby to filter income messages for
spam, with false negatives being more desirable than false positives,
while doing the same (maybe) for the Ruby Forum (human labour to
'break' captchas is cheap, alas, but the site doesn't seem to be
popular enough with the botnets. Small mercies, I guess).

Of course, if the technical / administrative overhead is increased far
too much (or a possible spam filter breaks the ML<->Usenet<->Ruby
Forum gateway), this shouldn't be done.

I'd like to put this out for discussion, especially given the possible
problems filtering would introduce.

--
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Robert Klemme

All,

I don't know about you, but the amount of spam received via the Usenet
group is getting tiresomes.

What NNTP provider are you using? I can see the spam via Google
Groups but I don't see it via my private NNTP provider.
http://individual.de/
Thus, I'd propose to move comp.land.ruby to filter income messages for
spam, with false negatives being more desirable than false positives,
while doing the same (maybe) for the Ruby Forum (human labour to
'break' captchas is cheap, alas, but the site doesn't seem to be
popular enough with the botnets. Small mercies, I guess).

Of course, if the technical / administrative overhead is increased far
too much (or a possible spam filter breaks the ML<->Usenet<->Ruby
Forum gateway), this shouldn't be done.

I'd like to put this out for discussion, especially given the possible
problems filtering would introduce.

It's already done.

Cheers

robert

Phillip Gawlowski

What NNTP provider are you using? =A0I can see the spam via Google
Groups but I don't see it via my private NNTP provider.
http://individual.de/

None. I use email (there's no good usenet client for Windows out
there. At least, none that I like). ;)

=A0 =A0 =A0 =A0carbon.ruby-lang.org

It's already done.

Well, then never mind the noise.

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Robert Klemme

None. I use email (there's no good usenet client for Windows out
there. At least, none that I like). ;)

And you're really seeing a lot spam on Gmail? Granted, it has increased
a bit over the last days but spam level still seems quite low - at least
from what I see.
Well, then never mind the noise.

:)

Cheers

robert

Phillip Gawlowski

And you're really seeing a lot spam on Gmail? =A0Granted, it has increase= d a
bit over the last days but spam level still seems quite low - at least fr= om
what I see.

That depends on what you mean by "low levels of spam", and what you
mean by "quite low".

Though, the amount of spam that slips through the spam filter is very
manageable. The problem is that I can't filter it out on my end
without training Google's spam filter, which in turn is bad for the
mailing list.

Anyway, since SpamAssassin is already filtering, I'll just have to deal wit=
h it.

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Robert Klemme

That depends on what you mean by "low levels of spam", and what you
mean by "quite low".

I'd say it means roughly "less than 3 spam messages per day on average". :-=
)
Though, the amount of spam that slips through the spam filter is very
manageable. The problem is that I can't filter it out on my end
without training Google's spam filter, which in turn is bad for the
mailing list.

Why should that be bad for the ML? I used to check "in:spam
label:ruby-talk" for a while to get back false positives. But
nowadays that does not seem to be necessary any more. Oh wait, there
were four messages. Darn.

Cheers

robert

--=20