    All info appreciated,
    Thanks,
    Guy

    G Doucet, Oct 2, 2006

  2. G Doucet

    richard Guest

    "G Doucet" <> wrote in message
    news:XYZTg.1448$%...
    >I wanted to keep track of my html files with a version number and identify
    >myself as being the author. I could place this information in a comment at
    >the top of the html document, like:
    > <!-- Author = G Doucet -->
    > <!-- Version = 2 -->
    > While I'm at it, is a comment supposed to be like <!-- comment --> or <!--
    > comment //--> ???
    >
    > Now I'm not very familiar with the meta tag but I have noticed that you
    > could do something like this too:
    > <META name="Author" content="G Doucet">
    > What exactly does this achieve, and who sees this META information? Is
    > there one for a version number?
    >
    > All info appreciated,
    > Thanks,
    > Guy

    I'd use the meta tag. Means nothing to search engines AFAIK.
    And you can use as many as needed.

    richard, Oct 2, 2006

  3. Scripsit G Doucet:

    > I wanted to keep track of my html files with a version number

    Do you need to put the information in the files themselves? Maybe. Hardcore
    version control is tough, and often overkill.

    > and identify myself as being the author.

    Well, then put your real name there, at the bottom. Preferably so that it is
    a link to your personal home page, to help to avoid confusion with other
    people with the same full name.

    Even the version number might work best when written in the document content
    itself. For example, at the bottom, you could have <div>This is version 2 of
    the page, created April 1, 2006.</div>

    > I could place this information
    > in a comment at the top of the html document, like: <!-- Author =
    > G Doucet --> <!-- Version = 2 -->

    Comments considered harmful. HTML is not a programming language. Generally,
    if markup "needs" a comment, it needs a rewrite. There are a few exceptions,
    but consider them as rarities to be avoided.

    > While I'm at it, is a comment supposed to be like <!-- comment --> or
    > <!-- comment //--> ???

    The former, of course. (To be very technical, the _comment_ is --
    comment --, but you need to precede it with <! and to write > after it.)

    > Now I'm not very familiar with the meta tag but I have noticed that
    > you could do something like this too: <META name="Author"
    > content="G Doucet">

    You could, and e.g. Nvu generates it automagically, but I have not seen any
    program make any _use_ of such information.

    > What exactly does this achieve,

    It basically has the role of a comment. It might be preferred to a comment,
    because it's structured in a _way_. It _could_ be utilized programmatically.

    > and who sees this META information?

    Any software that processes your document, but it will most likely ignore
    it.

    It isn't based on any published _specification_ either. There is no
    "standard" on it even in the loosest sense of the word.

    Things are different in principle if you use some published metadata
    specification, such as Dublin Core. Then there's something that specifies
    the format and meaning and could be used consistently. Well, more or less.
    Dublin Core, for one, is actually rather vague in many ways. Dublin Core is
    hardly used by any www-wide software, though it _is_ used in many local
    systems and _could_ be used e.g. by search engines as well. However, much of
    the Dublin Core metadata on web pages is just crap - written by people who
    had no clue, or copied from other documents without changing anything, or
    generated by programs from some unreliable data. So I'm not really expecting
    Google and others to start paying much attention to such metadata.

    Anyway, _if_ you decide to use Dublin Core, which at least gives you a
    fairly systematic metadata approach with _some_ specifications, you could
    use the following <head> tag to declare that:

    <head profile="http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/">

    and the following to specify author information:

    > Is there one for a version number?

    Not in Dublin Core; most probably in some other metadata system(s), but they
    have even less relevance on the Web.

    If you wish to express a version number in metadata, then you could append
    it into DC.title. It wouldn't be any _structured_ part there; the DC.title
    value is just a string, effectively the DC counterpart of the <title>
    element content, though it could have a more detailed message, e.g.

    <title>Gruntmaster 9001 product specification</title>
    - -
    "Gruntmaster 9001 product specification, version 2">

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Oct 2, 2006
  4. G Doucet

    z Guest

    G Doucet wrote:

    > I wanted to keep track of my html files with a version number and identify
    > myself as being the author. I could place this information in a comment at
    > the top of the html document, like:
    > <!-- Author = G Doucet -->
    > <!-- Version = 2 -->
    > While I'm at it, is a comment supposed to be like <!-- comment --> or <!--
    > comment //--> ???
    >
    > Now I'm not very familiar with the meta tag but I have noticed that you
    > could do something like this too:
    > <META name="Author" content="G Doucet">
    > What exactly does this achieve, and who sees this META information? Is
    > there one for a version number?

    Meta tag is probably better, but it shouldn't matter.

    An HTML comment is done like this:

    <!-- comment goes here -->

    The second version is only for commenting out JavaScript because the double
    slashes (//) mark a comment in JavaScript -- to keep the JavaScript from
    reading the close of the HTML comment:

    <script type="text/javascript">
    <!--
    // this is a JavaScript comment

    // the next line has a double slash to keep it from causing a JavaScript
    error, and a --> to close the HTML comment for very old browsers
    //-->
    </script>

    z, Oct 2, 2006
  5. G Doucet

    Andy Dingley Guest

    G Doucet wrote:

    > I wanted to keep track of my html files with a version number

    Then set up a real version control system on a server alongside your
    development desktop. I suggest installing Subversion (free) as about
    the best choice. It's not the simplest thing in the world, but it's
    time well spent. Once you have one, you'll wonder how you ever managed
    without.

    > and identify myself as being the author.

    Embed this information in a <meta> element

    led to them being ignored by search engines, which led (erroneously) to
    them being written off as worthless. They're certainly not worthless,
    they just need to prove they're trustworthy before you make use of them
    -- obviously the ones on your own site can be trusted by you at least.

    A <meta> element is far more easily located, identified and parsed than
    an opaque string of text in a comment.

    It's unlikely that author name alone really adds much. If you use
    metadata at all, it's usual to use a fair bit of it, Try reading the
    resources from http://creativecommons.org and http://purl.org/dc for a
    lot more useful background here.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 2, 2006
  6. z wrote:
    > <script type="text/javascript">
    > <!--
    > //-->
    > </script>

    Don't do that! Putting an HTML comment inside a <script> element is
    pointless in HTML (nobody uses the browsers it protects any more), and
    harmful in XHTML (where it comments the script itself out).

    David Dorward, Oct 2, 2006
  7. G Doucet

    G Doucet Guest

    Re: meta name=author... more info here

    "Andy Dingley" <> wrote: ...

    > G Doucet wrote:
    >
    >> I wanted to keep track of my html files with a version number

    > Then set up a real version control system on a server alongside your
    > development desktop. I suggest installing Subversion (free) as about
    > the best choice. It's not the simplest thing in the world, but it's
    > time well spent. Once you have one, you'll wonder how you ever managed
    > without.

    I'm sorry for not providing more info on my first post... This is an internal site, not available to the public. Also, I am not
    one of the system administrators - I am just developing a (relatively small) reference site on my public folder.
    It's true that people in the office could access my site directly, but for the most part, people working on the road will be able to
    copy the site to their laptops.

    Anyway, it's not that important since I do have a "Readme" link on the homepage where I indicate that I'm the author, but I do have
    several other htm files which I would like to stamp with a version or date. I was going to put it in a comment, but now I think I
    will put it in a META tag.

    Thanks for all,
    Guy

    G Doucet, Oct 2, 2006
  8. G Doucet

    z Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    > z wrote:
    >> <script type="text/javascript">
    >> <!--
    >> //-->
    >> </script>

    > Don't do that! Putting an HTML comment inside a <script> element is
    > pointless in HTML (nobody uses the browsers it protects any more), and
    > harmful in XHTML (where it comments the script itself out).

    I guess it is a bit strange to protect old browsers from JavaScript these
    days.

    z, Oct 2, 2006
  9. z wrote:

    > I guess it is a bit strange to protect old browsers from JavaScript these
    > days.

    Well, since most of the ones it protects don't, IIRC, support enough modern
    HTTP to fetch most pages ....

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is

    David Dorward, Oct 3, 2006