Meta.proposal.prepend_with(Ruby Syntax)

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by thoran@thoran.com, Aug 29, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Dear Rubytalkers,

    I was thinking that one of the reasons for my previous suggestion
    (combined with the suggestion of moving both inside the brackets) was
    deemed troublesome was due to it looking too Smalltalkish, so perhaps
    the following is better?...

    Core.proposal.semantics(The Double Bracket Notation)
    Core.proposal.syntax('end' == '.')

    CoreLibraries.proposal(New Collections Types)
    CoreLib.supercede(List, Array)
    CoreLib.supercede List, Array
    CoreLib.supercede List, with: Array # Using Ruby 2.0 syntax.

    StandardLibraries.proposal(Replace Webrick with Mongrel)
    StdLib.new(NewLibraryNameHere)
    StdLib.deprecated(OldLibraryNameHere)
    StdLib.supercedes NewLibraryNameHere, OldLibraryNameHere

    Libraries.proposal(What About If We Do X?)
    Lib.new(AwesomeLibraryNameHere)
    Lib.question(about: LibraryNameHere, Should I...?)
    Lib.announcement(name: LibraryNameHere, version: 1.0)
    Lib.ann name: LibraryNameHere, version: 1.0

    Meta.discussion
    Meta.announcement

    Miscellaneous.question
    Misc.announcement
    General.announcement

    I understand that there is doubt as to the usefulness and the
    likelikhood of uptake of this or any other syntax, but memes ain't
    memes unless they are at least given an initial vector.

    I also realise that the strings should be quoted and that this
    proposal is a little too cute, but ideas are for floating; and
    sinking. Am I 100% serious about this? No. Am I 0% serious about
    this? No.

    Anyway, I apologise if the previous attempted usage was irritating.
    For this to work there needs to be a certain amount of agreement, and
    it at least highlighted the issue for discussion at this time, even if
    without a comprehensive solution.

    thoran

    , Aug 29, 2006

  2. On 8/29/06, thoran @ thoran. com <> wrote:
    > Dear Rubytalkers,
    >
    > I was thinking that one of the reasons for my previous suggestion
    > (combined with the suggestion of moving both inside the brackets) was
    > deemed troublesome was due to it looking too Smalltalkish, so perhaps
    > the following is better?...
    >
    > Core.proposal.semantics(The Double Bracket Notation)
    > Core.proposal.syntax('end' == '.')

    [etc]

    Don't forget the effect this will have on the front page of your
    newsreader/mail client. There's a limited amount of space for subject
    lines.

    martin

    Martin DeMello, Aug 29, 2006

  3. wrote:
    > Dear Rubytalkers,
    >
    > I was thinking that one of the reasons for my previous suggestion
    > (combined with the suggestion of moving both inside the brackets) was
    > deemed troublesome was due to it looking too Smalltalkish, so perhaps
    > the following is better?...
    >
    > <snip />

    Thing is, it will take far less time to just read a line
    or two of the post to figure out what it is about for the
    next two years than it would to argue about which notation
    would be best to use for the above purpose.

    Eero Saynatkari, Aug 29, 2006
  4. James Britt Guest

    wrote:
    > Dear Rubytalkers,
    >
    > I was thinking that one of the reasons for my previous suggestion
    > (combined with the suggestion of moving both inside the brackets) was
    > deemed troublesome was due to it looking too Smalltalkish, so perhaps
    > the following is better?...

    <snip />

    Wow.

    With all due respect, that's nuts.

    --
    James Britt

    "The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with
    computing systems is a symptom of professional immaturity."
    - Edsger W. Dijkstra

    James Britt, Aug 29, 2006
  5. On 8/29/06, thoran @ thoran. com <> wrote:
    > I was thinking that one of the reasons for my previous suggestion
    > (combined with the suggestion of moving both inside the brackets) was
    > deemed troublesome was due to it looking too Smalltalkish, so perhaps
    > the following is better?...

    You think wrong. The previous suggestion was deemed troublesome
    because it's excessively verbose and nonsensical overall. Not that
    this is any better.

    If it *really* bothers you to see this much traffic on ruby-talk, use
    the newsgroup interface and kill threads you don't want to read.

    -austin
    --
    Austin Ziegler * * http://www.halostatue.ca/
    * * http://www.halostatue.ca/feed/