    differently for clarity.

    Thanks,
    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 23, 2004

  2. Mr. Bill

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:kohQb.6355155$>
    "Mr. Bill" <> said:

    > I am using a META refresh to redirect a web page.

    don't use anything client side to redirect people, always do it server
    side where it works, doesn't annoy search engines and the correct client
    request redirect responses are sent.

    > I don't want the redirect to cause a click (on those machines which
    > have the clicking sound turned on to open folders and such) when the
    > page redirects.

    so you're trying to hide the redirection? thats not very honest.

    > Is there any way to command what I guess is a Windows sound not to
    > happen?

    yes but i'm not going to tell you. anyone who would want to know only
    wants to use the knowledge for evil, not good.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 23, 2004

  3. Mr. Bill

    Richard Guest

    brucie wrote:

    > in post: <news:kohQb.6355155$>
    > "Mr. Bill" <> said:

    >> I am using a META refresh to redirect a web page.

    > don't use anything client side to redirect people, always do it server
    > side where it works, doesn't annoy search engines and the correct client
    > request redirect responses are sent.

    >> I don't want the redirect to cause a click (on those machines which
    >> have the clicking sound turned on to open folders and such) when the
    >> page redirects.

    > so you're trying to hide the redirection? thats not very honest.

    >> Is there any way to command what I guess is a Windows sound not to
    >> happen?

    > yes but i'm not going to tell you. anyone who would want to know only
    > wants to use the knowledge for evil, not good.

    brucie, the god of usenet preaching the evils of simple actions.

    Richard, Jan 23, 2004
  4. Mr. Bill

    Richard Guest

    Mr. Bill wrote:

    > I am using a META refresh to redirect a web page. I don't want the
    > redirect to cause a click (on those machines which have the clicking
    > sound turned on to open folders and such) when the page redirects. Is
    > there any way to command what I guess is a Windows sound not to happen?

    > I hope this is phrased to be understood, if not maybe I could phrase it
    > differently for clarity.

    > Thanks,
    > Mr. Bill

    doesn't bother me one bit. I hate the damn noises windows generates anyway
    so I turned them all off.
    Plus I mute the sound.
    don't mind brucie, he believes anything that isn't within his line of
    coding, it is evil and sucks.

    If I knew how to do it I'd tell you. Perhaps if you found a few sites that
    do what you want, you could check their code out.

    Or do a web search.

    <SCRIPT language=javascript>
    if(top.location !=
    self.location){top.location="http://www.whitehousesex.com";}
    </SCRIPT>

    now this little trick isn't exactly a true redirect and it requires
    javascript, but you can try it out.

    I have one guy who thinks it's cute to make his visitors think my site is
    his.
    Soooooo, I just get his visitors pissed off.

    Richard, Jan 23, 2004
  5. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    Ahh my friend, you misunderstand. What I am trying to do is an IFrame slide
    show. The redirection is from one page in the slide show (within the
    IFrame) to another then to another then back to the first. I am not trying
    to hide a redirect, it is just a bit annoying to hear the clicking noise
    every time a slide changes within the IFrame. I am investigating other ways
    to accomplish what I am trying to do but up to now this method seems the
    simplest. And with my lack of knowledge I have absolutely no ulterior
    motive and don't even understand your comments about dishonesty or doing
    things evil with redirection.

    And I really don't even want to understand them, truth be known.

    Thanks for your response though.

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 23, 2004
  6. Mr. Bill

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote:

    > <SCRIPT language=javascript>
    > if(top.location !=
    > self.location){top.location="http://www.whitehousesex.com";}
    > </SCRIPT>
    >
    > now this little trick isn't exactly a true redirect and it requires
    > javascript, but you can try it out.

    Adding a plain textlink to that will be a way to make it independant of
    JavaScript. Just in case.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)

    Kris, Jan 24, 2004
  7. Mr. Bill

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:ipiQb.5422231$>
    "Mr. Bill" <> said:
    [rearranged a bit]

    > What I am trying to do is an IFrame slide show.

    iframes are just as evil as frames

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
    http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/

    http://butterflies.bruciesusenetshit.info/

    > it is just a bit annoying to hear the clicking noise every time a
    > slide changes within the IFrame.

    if you don't like it then adjust *your* settings, don't assume the
    visitor doesn't want the sound.

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 24, 2004
  8. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    Thanks a bunch. I will see if I can figure out what it is you just said and
    hopefully (as I am still quite green at all of this as I am just doing
    things in hopes of learning bit by bit) you will have answered my question
    here!

    I really don't know a thing about Brucie, me thinks though that he is trying
    to do good as he has responded to me before in a helpful? manner.

    Thanks again.

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  9. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    Okay, could you then give me a clue as to how I might do a slideshow (for
    purely cosmetic and decorative reasons) without using the IFrame? (Or
    should I say, the evil IFrame?).

    Sometimes to learn what is good one must first learn what is bad you know?

    Thanks,

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  10. Mr. Bill

    informant Guest

    "Mr. Bill" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks a bunch. I will see if I can figure out what it is you just said

    and

    Don't bother. "Richard" is Richard the St00pid Bullis and knows nothing.
    "brucie" is a respected regular and you would do well to listen to him and
    ignore Bullis.

    Photos of Bullis
    http://www.lart.com/stupidrichard/
    http://convict.iwarp.com/bullis-single.jpg
    Richard Bullis FAQ 5.0
    http://www.lart.com/rtsfaq/

    informant, Jan 24, 2004
  11. Mr. Bill wrote:
    > Okay, could you then give me a clue as to how I might do a slideshow (for
    > purely cosmetic and decorative reasons) without using the IFrame? (Or
    > should I say, the evil IFrame?).

    href="slide2.html">next slide</a>.</p>

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 24, 2004
  12. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    This would cause the user to have to page through separate html pages, what
    I am looking to do is embed a self changing show on a page. One that would
    change from slide to slide without the user interaction.

    Thanks though.

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  13. Mr. Bill

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Z_iQb.5424845$>
    "Mr. Bill" <> said:

    > Okay, could you then give me a clue as to how I might do a slideshow (for
    > purely cosmetic and decorative reasons) without using the IFrame? (Or
    > should I say, the evil IFrame?).

    does it need to be a slide show? does it matter what order the images
    are shown? would just a thumb gallery suffice rather then making the
    visitor sit through images they may not be interested in?

    if you do want the slide show then don't do an automatic one. supply
    links. if you like you could offer an automatic /option/ where the
    visitor can select the speed (because you have no idea what the speed
    should be).

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 24, 2004
  14. Mr. Bill wrote:
    > This would cause the user to have to page through separate html pages, what
    > I am looking to do is embed a self changing show on a page. One that would
    > change from slide to slide without the user interaction.

    How do you know I'll be done reading what you have to show me before it
    changes? How do you know I won't be long-done reading when it changes?
    Let me read at my own speed.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 24, 2004
  15. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    Thanks for the opinion.

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  16. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    Where did you go sir? Maybe you had other things to do. I will check back
    and see if you have anything to add. Interesting links, thank you for them.

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  17. Mr. Bill

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:4wkQb.6369082$>
    "Mr. Bill" <> said:

    > Where did you go sir?

    i went into town, mommy said i could!

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 24, 2004
  18. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    Thanks again for your reply. I think now you understand that I am in this
    group in an attempt to learn, not in an attempt to really DO anything at
    all. As far as needing to be a slide show, I don't suppose that the slide
    show is actually needed on the page at all. I am just investigating what
    can be done and how what can be done should be done if at all. (Gosh I hope
    that made sense).

    There may be a few pictures that would be nice for a page viewer to see.
    They would not be essential to supplying any real information at all, just a
    pretty thing that could be displayed on the page for whomever might be able
    to view them. For example, a picture of a "booth" at a trade show. A logo
    for an enterprise, their store front, the company's president... (again this
    is just an example there is no real page, except in my brain) might be
    displayed, or maybe some pictures of some products that a company sells.
    You see what I mean? The pictures would not really provide any concrete
    information, they would just be pretty things...

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  19. Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill Guest

    No reading, just pictures. Of course that would be a thousand words so
    perhaps.... just kidding.

    Mr. Bill

    Mr. Bill, Jan 24, 2004
  20. Mr. Bill

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:YUkQb.5433400$>
    "Mr. Bill" <> said:

    > Thanks again for your reply. I think now you understand that I am in this
    > group in an attempt to learn, not in an attempt to really DO anything at
    > all.

    you're free to shower us with money.

    > As far as needing to be a slide show, I don't suppose that the slide
    > show is actually needed on the page at all.

    that wasn't the point i was trying to make. i just wanted you to ask
    yourself if a slide show was the best way to present the images.

    if i was doing it each image would be on a page by itself with links
    going forward/back between pages.

    for the automatic option i would have a form asking the time interval.
    on submit a simple bit of scripting would enter that time in a <meta>
    refresh before sending the page to the visitor.

    i would use the <meta> rather than JS as there is less likelihood of the

    --
    brucie - i usenet nude

    brucie, Jan 24, 2004