META redirect question

Mr. Bill

I am using a META refresh to redirect a web page. I don't want the redirect
to cause a click (on those machines which have the clicking sound turned on
to open folders and such) when the page redirects. Is there any way to
command what I guess is a Windows sound not to happen?

I hope this is phrased to be understood, if not maybe I could phrase it
differently for clarity.

Thanks,
Mr. Bill

brucie

in post: <
Mr. Bill said:
I am using a META refresh to redirect a web page.

don't use anything client side to redirect people, always do it server
side where it works, doesn't annoy search engines and the correct client
request redirect responses are sent.
I don't want the redirect to cause a click (on those machines which
have the clicking sound turned on to open folders and such) when the
page redirects.

so you're trying to hide the redirection? thats not very honest.
Is there any way to command what I guess is a Windows sound not to
happen?

yes but i'm not going to tell you. anyone who would want to know only
wants to use the knowledge for evil, not good.

Richard

brucie said:
in post: <"Mr. Bill" <[email protected]> said:
don't use anything client side to redirect people, always do it server
side where it works, doesn't annoy search engines and the correct client
request redirect responses are sent.
so you're trying to hide the redirection? thats not very honest.
yes but i'm not going to tell you. anyone who would want to know only
wants to use the knowledge for evil, not good.

brucie, the god of usenet preaching the evils of simple actions.

Richard

Mr. Bill said:
I am using a META refresh to redirect a web page. I don't want the
redirect to cause a click (on those machines which have the clicking
sound turned on to open folders and such) when the page redirects. Is
there any way to command what I guess is a Windows sound not to happen?
I hope this is phrased to be understood, if not maybe I could phrase it
differently for clarity.
Thanks,
Mr. Bill

doesn't bother me one bit. I hate the damn noises windows generates anyway
so I turned them all off.
Plus I mute the sound.
don't mind brucie, he believes anything that isn't within his line of
coding, it is evil and sucks.

If I knew how to do it I'd tell you. Perhaps if you found a few sites that
do what you want, you could check their code out.

Or do a web search.

<SCRIPT language=javascript>
if(top.location !=
self.location){top.location="http://www.whitehousesex.com";}
</SCRIPT>

now this little trick isn't exactly a true redirect and it requires
javascript, but you can try it out.

I have one guy who thinks it's cute to make his visitors think my site is
his.
Soooooo, I just get his visitors pissed off.

Mr. Bill

Ahh my friend, you misunderstand. What I am trying to do is an IFrame slide
show. The redirection is from one page in the slide show (within the
IFrame) to another then to another then back to the first. I am not trying
to hide a redirect, it is just a bit annoying to hear the clicking noise
every time a slide changes within the IFrame. I am investigating other ways
to accomplish what I am trying to do but up to now this method seems the
simplest. And with my lack of knowledge I have absolutely no ulterior
motive and don't even understand your comments about dishonesty or doing
things evil with redirection.

And I really don't even want to understand them, truth be known.

Thanks for your response though.

Mr. Bill

Kris

Richard said:
<SCRIPT language=javascript>
if(top.location !=
self.location){top.location="http://www.whitehousesex.com";}
</SCRIPT>

now this little trick isn't exactly a true redirect and it requires
javascript, but you can try it out.

Adding a plain textlink to that will be a way to make it independant of
JavaScript. Just in case.

brucie

in post: <
What I am trying to do is an IFrame slide show.

iframes are just as evil as frames

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/
I am investigating other ways to accomplish what I am trying to do
http://butterflies.bruciesusenetshit.info/

it is just a bit annoying to hear the clicking noise every time a
slide changes within the IFrame.

if you don't like it then adjust *your* settings, don't assume the
visitor doesn't want the sound.

Mr. Bill

Thanks a bunch. I will see if I can figure out what it is you just said and
hopefully (as I am still quite green at all of this as I am just doing
things in hopes of learning bit by bit) you will have answered my question
here!

I really don't know a thing about Brucie, me thinks though that he is trying
to do good as he has responded to me before in a helpful? manner.

Thanks again.

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Okay, could you then give me a clue as to how I might do a slideshow (for
purely cosmetic and decorative reasons) without using the IFrame? (Or
should I say, the evil IFrame?).

Sometimes to learn what is good one must first learn what is bad you know?

Thanks,

Mr. Bill

Leif K-Brooks

Mr. Bill said:
Okay, could you then give me a clue as to how I might do a slideshow (for
purely cosmetic and decorative reasons) without using the IFrame? (Or
should I say, the evil IFrame?).

href="slide2.html">next slide</a>.</p>

Mr. Bill

This would cause the user to have to page through separate html pages, what
I am looking to do is embed a self changing show on a page. One that would
change from slide to slide without the user interaction.

Thanks though.

Mr. Bill

brucie

in post: <
Mr. Bill said:
Okay, could you then give me a clue as to how I might do a slideshow (for
purely cosmetic and decorative reasons) without using the IFrame? (Or
should I say, the evil IFrame?).

does it need to be a slide show? does it matter what order the images
are shown? would just a thumb gallery suffice rather then making the
visitor sit through images they may not be interested in?

if you do want the slide show then don't do an automatic one. supply
links. if you like you could offer an automatic /option/ where the
visitor can select the speed (because you have no idea what the speed
should be).

Leif K-Brooks

Mr. Bill said:
This would cause the user to have to page through separate html pages, what
I am looking to do is embed a self changing show on a page. One that would
change from slide to slide without the user interaction.

How do you know I'll be done reading what you have to show me before it
changes? How do you know I won't be long-done reading when it changes?
Let me read at my own speed.

Mr. Bill

Where did you go sir? Maybe you had other things to do. I will check back
and see if you have anything to add. Interesting links, thank you for them.

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Thanks again for your reply. I think now you understand that I am in this
group in an attempt to learn, not in an attempt to really DO anything at
all. As far as needing to be a slide show, I don't suppose that the slide
show is actually needed on the page at all. I am just investigating what
can be done and how what can be done should be done if at all. (Gosh I hope
that made sense).

There may be a few pictures that would be nice for a page viewer to see.
They would not be essential to supplying any real information at all, just a
pretty thing that could be displayed on the page for whomever might be able
to view them. For example, a picture of a "booth" at a trade show. A logo
for an enterprise, their store front, the company's president... (again this
is just an example there is no real page, except in my brain) might be
displayed, or maybe some pictures of some products that a company sells.
You see what I mean? The pictures would not really provide any concrete
information, they would just be pretty things...

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

No reading, just pictures. Of course that would be a thousand words so
perhaps.... just kidding.

Mr. Bill

brucie

in post: <
Mr. Bill said:
Thanks again for your reply. I think now you understand that I am in this
group in an attempt to learn, not in an attempt to really DO anything at
all.

you're free to shower us with money.
As far as needing to be a slide show, I don't suppose that the slide
show is actually needed on the page at all.

that wasn't the point i was trying to make. i just wanted you to ask
yourself if a slide show was the best way to present the images.

if i was doing it each image would be on a page by itself with links
going forward/back between pages.

for the automatic option i would have a form asking the time interval.
on submit a simple bit of scripting would enter that time in a <meta>
refresh before sending the page to the visitor.

i would use the <meta> rather than JS as there is less likelihood of the