META redirect question

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Mr. Bill scribbled in the mud:
Okay, I am assuming then that this file would go into the body of an
HTML page for the purposes of the test, then up load it onto the
server, then go to the URL and see all of the information you speak of
which will prove the server supports PHP.

In your text editor write:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Than save it as phpinfo.php or anyname.php
Up load that to your server & point your browser to it. If your host
supports php you will see a whole bunch of stuff. If they don't you will
just see:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Mr. Bill

Well I run FreeBSD unix with Apache, MySQL and PHP installed, but that's
not exactly the easy way to go about building a site, you can get PHP
for IIS or you can get Apache for windows and PHP for either of these.

So I can take that as a yes. SSI = Server side includes? Pretty sure of
that one though I am just scratching the surface of this. I will have to
investigate how SSI and PHP work with each other then.

Thanks again Cameron.

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

In your text editor write:

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

Than save it as phpinfo.php or anyname.php
Up load that to your server & point your browser to it. If your host
supports php you will see a whole bunch of stuff. If they don't you will
just see:

I see, just the single file then point to the url for the file.

if lots of information = Y then PHP supported
if only code appears then PHP not supported

Thanks for all of the useful information Cameron.

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

you can get PHP

So I can take that as a yes. SSI = Server side includes? Pretty sure of
that one though I am just scratching the surface of this. I will have to
investigate how SSI and PHP work with each other then.

or is this a case where all PHPs are SSIs but not all SSIs are PHPs?

Cameron

Mr. Bill said:
So I can take that as a yes. SSI = Server side includes? Pretty sure of
that one though I am just scratching the surface of this. I will have to
investigate how SSI and PHP work with each other then.

Thanks again Cameron.

Mr. Bill

*Grin* well yes SSI does = Server Side Includes, however if you will
read my post again it says IIS, which stands for Internet Information
Server ;)

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IIS.html

~Cameron

Leif K-Brooks

Mr. Bill said:
So I can take that as a yes. SSI = Server side includes? Pretty sure of
that one though I am just scratching the surface of this. I will have to
investigate how SSI and PHP work with each other then.

No one said anything about SSI.

Cameron

Mr. Bill said:
I see, just the single file then point to the url for the file.

if lots of information = Y then PHP supported
if only code appears then PHP not supported

Thanks for all of the useful information Cameron.

Mr. Bill

Not me this time hehe, Duende just repeated what I said ;)

~Cameron

Mr. Bill

*Grin* well yes SSI does = Server Side Includes, however if you will
read my post again it says IIS, which stands for Internet Information
Server ;)

Dislexia is such a hateful thing LMAO Wow was I in left field or what?

Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Than save it as phpinfo.php or anyname.php
Up load that to your server & point your browser to it. If your host
supports php you will see a whole bunch of stuff. If they don't you will
just see:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>

My Apologies for not thanking the proper person.

Thanks Duende

Mr. Bill

Duende

While sitting in a puddle Mr. Bill scribbled in the mud:
I see, just the single file then point to the url for the file.

if lots of information = Y then PHP supported
if only code appears then PHP not supported

Thanks for all of the useful information Cameron.

Mr. Bill

Hey, That was my post. :(

Cameron

Mr. Bill said:
You guys are great!

Mr. Bill

Wish I was more so, having trouble working through the code path of my
latest project ;) anyways this post was going to say, if you want to
talk about php stuff you would be best to post to a PHP newsgroup,
alt.comp.lang.php is the one I use.

~Cameron

Toby A Inkster

Eric said:
It's just a consequence of the fact that news servers, unlike Web servers,
are highly distributed; unlike Web sites, where everybody is accessing
pages from the same place and will therefore see the same list of pages

Although some web sites are distributed and you will occasionally notice
that one mirror is lagging behind another. For instance, the Gutenberg
Project's website.

Default User

Mr. Bill said:
Another question comes to mind then. How do you test your PHP scripts
before up loading them to a server? I would guess the server could be
emulated on a PC for composing and testing purposes?

Not emulated, you can get Apache that runs on your platform. A nice
distribution is here:

http://www.easyphp.org/

They have bundled together Apache, PHP and MySQL so they can be
downloaded and installed together.

Brian Rodenborn

Mark Parnell

Normally these guys jump on you like a 'ton of bricks' for posting
*incorrectly*, that's why I was surprised no-one had commented before :~)

I usually only comment on something like that if I am replying anyway.

But I agree, it is unusual for no one to have commented yet, especially
since brucie has made several replies. Perhaps he's going soft in his
old age. ;-)

Mr. Bill

Not emulated, you can get Apache that runs on your platform. A nice
distribution is here:

Thanks for the reply, I have it installed now, and I have php installed too.
I am having problems getting extensions to load though. Been working on it
for two days to no avail, yet.

Thanks,

Mr. Bill

Weyoun the Dancing Borg

Mr. Bill said:
Two questions:

1. Does everybody use "Premade" PHP scripts?

No. There are many available. For a messageboard, I will use a pre-made
script and modify the code myself as best I can (I am not very good at PHP).
For something simple like an include or... I dont know, the time, then I
will write it myself. I prefer ASP though.

2. Do all servers support PHP?

The vast majority *can* support PHP but it usually costs extra. For example,
Geocities doesn't support it, but OneandOne does.

Thanks all,

np