META refresh problem - looking for better ideas

Jemdam.com

Hi,

I wrote a simple chat room script in PHP and HTML and I need to refresh the
page every few seconds to cover the updates. At the moment it does a refresh
with the following code:

<META content="4;url=page.php" http-equiv=refresh delay="4">'

The problem is after some one has used it for a while it seems to refresh
more than once each loop and even when you leave the chat page you can see
it still loads each time even though this doesn't effect browsing afterwards
the reload click is a bit of a pain.

Does anyone have any ideas why this happens? Or does anyone have any great
ideas for another way to refresh a page in a frame every x seconds that is
more suitable?

If you need to see what I mean you can try my chat at:
http://chat.jemdam.com

Thanks,

David