META REFRESH

sam

is there, and does anyone know the upper time limit for META REFRESH?
I'm looking for a few hours, if not 24 of them. which would be:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=86400>

will that work?

slow

Michael Wilcox

sam said:
is there, and does anyone know the upper time limit for META REFRESH?
I'm looking for a few hours, if not 24 of them. which would be:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=86400>

Well, you could try it and see, although I doubt there would ever be a time
when the same webpage is open for more than twenty four hours. Is this
really needed?

sam

well, i'm not sure.
this is part of my "duct tape and hot glue" solution to a problem that i
have.

I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
a new ip address to ip.html. i could then check this page every so often
from the road to see what my home computer's new ip was and connect to it.

sam

Toby A Inkster

sam said:
I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
a new ip address to ip.html.

You appear to be running Windows NT 5.1.

Go and download wget for Windows. Go into Windows' Task Scheduler thingy
(whatever Microsoft has decided to call it today) and set a task to run
the following command every 24 hours:

wget http://www.my.server.com/myscript.asp

chris

sam said:
well, i'm not sure.
this is part of my "duct tape and hot glue" solution to a problem that i
have.

I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
a new ip address to ip.html. i could then check this page every so often
from the road to see what my home computer's new ip was and connect to it.

sam

Michael Wilcox wrote:
<--snip-->

Use some tool like Direct Update with an dynamic ip account like dyndns.org.
Works pretty good for me

chris

Andrew Glasgow

sam said:
is there, and does anyone know the upper time limit for META REFRESH?
I'm looking for a few hours, if not 24 of them. which would be:

<META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=86400>

will that work?

slow

Meta refresh is broken anyway. Don't rely on it.