    <META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=86400>

    will that work?

    slow

    sam, Feb 20, 2004

  2. sam <> wrote:
    > is there, and does anyone know the upper time limit for META REFRESH?
    > I'm looking for a few hours, if not 24 of them. which would be:
    >
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=86400>

    Well, you could try it and see, although I doubt there would ever be a time
    when the same webpage is open for more than twenty four hours. Is this
    really needed?
    --
    Michael Wilcox
    mjwilco at yahoo dot com

    Michael Wilcox, Feb 20, 2004

  3. sam

    sam Guest

    well, i'm not sure.
    this is part of my "duct tape and hot glue" solution to a problem that i
    have.

    I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
    dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
    that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
    saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
    because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
    on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
    a new ip address to ip.html. i could then check this page every so often
    from the road to see what my home computer's new ip was and connect to it.

    sam

    sam, Feb 20, 2004
  4. sam

    Paul Furman Guest

    http://www.no-ip.org has a free service and a utility you run that
    updates it.

    Paul Furman, Feb 20, 2004
  5. sam wrote:

    > I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
    > dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
    > that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
    > saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
    > because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
    > on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
    > a new ip address to ip.html.

    You appear to be running Windows NT 5.1.

    Go and download wget for Windows. Go into Windows' Task Scheduler thingy
    (whatever Microsoft has decided to call it today) and set a task to run
    the following command every 24 hours:

    wget http://www.my.server.com/myscript.asp

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Feb 20, 2004
  6. sam

    chris Guest

    "sam" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > well, i'm not sure.
    > this is part of my "duct tape and hot glue" solution to a problem that i
    > have.
    >
    > I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
    > dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
    > that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
    > saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
    > because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
    > on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
    > a new ip address to ip.html. i could then check this page every so often
    > from the road to see what my home computer's new ip was and connect to it.
    >
    > sam
    >
    > Michael Wilcox wrote:

    <--snip-->

    Use some tool like Direct Update with an dynamic ip account like dyndns.org.
    Works pretty good for me

    chris

    chris, Feb 20, 2004
  7. sam

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > sam wrote:
    >
    > > I will be going away for about 2 weeks. My computer at home has a
    > > dynamic ip. i do, however have a server elswhere with a fixed ip. on
    > > that server i have an .asp file which reads the ip of the client and
    > > saves it to a separate html file "ip.html". The refresh question was
    > > because i was thinking i could leave a browser open on my home machine,
    > > on that page, and every day (or whatever) the page would refresh, adding
    > > a new ip address to ip.html.

    > You appear to be running Windows NT 5.1.

    LOL. AKA "Windows XP" :p

    > Go and download wget for Windows. Go into Windows' Task Scheduler thingy
    > (whatever Microsoft has decided to call it today) and set a task to run
    > the following command every 24 hours:
    >
    > wget http://www.my.server.com/myscript.asp

    yup

    SpaceGirl, Feb 20, 2004
  8. In article <RCdZb.41$>,
    sam <> wrote:

    > is there, and does anyone know the upper time limit for META REFRESH?
    > I'm looking for a few hours, if not 24 of them. which would be:
    >
    > <META HTTP-EQUIV=REFRESH CONTENT=86400>
    >
    > will that work?
    >
    > slow

    Meta refresh is broken anyway. Don't rely on it.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "Virtues foster one another; so too, vices. Bad English kills trees, |

    Andrew Glasgow, Feb 21, 2004