meta-stylesheets info

^Alan^

Hi!
where can I find some infos about meta-stylesheets techinque (a document
XSLT which generates other one)? I've seen Schematron, but which are other
most popular example of this use of XSLT?

thanks!

Alan

Tjerk Wolterink

^Alan^ said:
Hi!
where can I find some infos about meta-stylesheets techinque (a document
XSLT which generates other one)?

?? you mean an xslt document that generates an xslt document?
I've seen Schematron, but which are other

Schematron is a xml schema language, like
XMLSchema.
Has not mucht to do with xslt
most popular example of this use of XSLT?

?? dont now what you mean.

Soren Kuula

^Alan^ said:
Schematron is based on this technique:
http://www.ldodds.com/papers/schematron_xsltuk.html

I'm looking for other examples of this use of XSLT...

If you want to see more of what you can do with languages that can
generate themselves, and it doesn't _have_ to be XSLT, look at the
programming language Scheme. Lots a fun. You can write compilers,
partial validators and loads of other things in a few lines.

The only magic thing about it in XSLT is to have the stylesheet
processor know what in the stylesheet-spewing stylesheet is code and
what is data. There's a special namespace-alias element for that.

Exercise: Make a stylesheet that takes 2 paramters, a and b. It
generates a stylesheet that does the identity transform, except that
elements named a are replaced by elements named b...

Soren

Soren Kuula

Exercise: Make a stylesheet that takes 2 paramters, a and b. It
generates a stylesheet that does the identity transform, except that
elements named a are replaced by elements named b...

I mean, the value of b instead of the value of a, not b instead of a.

Ed Beroset

^Alan^ said:
Schematron is based on this technique:
http://www.ldodds.com/papers/schematron_xsltuk.html

I'm looking for other examples of this use of XSLT...

I've used this technique recently. In my particular case, the task was
to create an HTML page with color-coded text based on both the values
from an input XML file and an XSLT. For example, let's say the XML file
contained the following:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<porridge>
<tempC>37</tempC>
<cooked>true</cooked>
</porridge>

Now imagine that we want to transform this into an HTML file in which
the temperature is color coded; blue for too cold, red for too hot, and
green for just right. Since these temperatures are somewhat subjective,
I needed a way to enter the list of rules. I could have built the rules
directly into a stylesheet, but ultimately I decided to have the rules
in more-or-less human readable XML and then generate the XSLT. Also,
this had the advantage of making it easier to generate an HTML page
which summarized the rules. Here are the transformations:

rules.xml + rules2html.xsl = rules.html
rules.xml + rules2xsl.xsl = rules.xsl
porridge.xml + rules.xsl = porridge.html

If you need more details, or you're stuck on one particular thing, let
me know.

Ed

Dimitre Novatchev

^Alan^ said:
Hi!
where can I find some infos about meta-stylesheets techinque (a document
XSLT which generates other one)? I've seen Schematron, but which are other
most popular example of this use of XSLT?

It is much more interesting to use higher-order functions in XSLT. Because a
higher-order function can return another (dynamically created function) as
the result of its application, one does not need to generate code, which
then has to be re-compiled.

Implementing and using higher-order functions is described in the FXSL
documentation and in this presentation at Extreme Markup Languages 2003:

http://www.mulberrytech.com/Extreme/Proceedings/xslfo-pdf/2003/Novatchev01/EML2003Novatchev01.pdf

Cheers,
Dimitre Novatchev