    I don't put anything up that I particularly want to be located by a
    search engine. Is there any other reason that I should include any
    information in a meta tag?

    Tony Cooper, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Tony Cooper

    Steve R. Guest

    Tony Cooper wrote in message ...
    > I don't put anything up that I particularly want to be located by a
    > search engine.

    You can safely leave out that information.

    However if you've got a website with good textual content (not text as
    gifs) then you *will* be picked up by a search engine if some of your
    content is what those pesky www searchers are looking for :~)

    Steve R., Feb 23, 2004

  3. Tony Cooper

    Chet Guest

    | Meta tags, as far as I can tell, are only used to embed
    keywords and
    | descriptions to facilitate search engines.
    |
    | I don't put anything up that I particularly want to be located
    by a
    | search engine. Is there any other reason that I should include
    any
    | information in a meta tag?

    There are many more meta tags besides the keywords and
    description. You don't put up anything you want to found by the
    search engines, do you include a noindex meta tag? Or a
    robots.txt?

    Check out Vancouver Webpages for more info on meta tags:

    http://vancouver-webpages.com/META/

    Here's what I include on most pages:

    rights reserved">
    charset=iso-8859-1">
    GMT">

    hth
    --
    Chet
    (remove NO.....SPAM)

    Chet, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Tony Cooper

    SpaceGirl Guest

    "Chet" <> wrote in message

    > "Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    > | Meta tags, as far as I can tell, are only used to embed
    > keywords and
    > | descriptions to facilitate search engines.
    > |
    > | I don't put anything up that I particularly want to be located
    > by a
    > | search engine. Is there any other reason that I should include
    > any
    > | information in a meta tag?
    > |

    > There are many more meta tags besides the keywords and
    > description. You don't put up anything you want to found by the
    > search engines, do you include a noindex meta tag? Or a
    > robots.txt?
    >
    > Check out Vancouver Webpages for more info on meta tags:
    >
    > http://vancouver-webpages.com/META/
    >
    > Here's what I include on most pages:

    > rights reserved">
    > charset=iso-8859-1">
    > GMT">

    Here's the block from the top of one of our sites:

    <!--

    the garbage fan site || v9 ||
    copyright (c) digital:harmony 1997-2004 (edinburgh scotland)
    This code must not be duplicated
    Site Version: 9.01.192 @ 14/02/2004 11:34

    //-->

    <META NAME="description" lang="en" content="The Ultimate Fan Site for the
    pop group GARBAGE, featuring Shirley Manson">
    <META NAME="keywords" lang="en" content="Music, Music Fans, Fansite,
    Garbage, BeautifulGarbage, Shirley Manson, Butch Vig, Steve Marker, Duke
    Erikson, Version 2.0, Cherry Lips, Androgyny, Push It, Stupid Girl, Milk,
    Only Happy When it Rains, When I Grow Up, Breaking Up The Girl, Edinburgh,
    Stockbridge, Mussleburgh, Scotland, Redhead, Angelfish, Goodbye Mr
    Mackenzie, Firetown, The Queen, Queen Helen, Live Music, Gigs, Tour">
    <META NAME="resource-type" CONTENT="document">
    <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="2 days">
    <META NAME="classification" CONTENT="Music & Entertainment">
    <META NAME="distribution" CONTENT="Global">
    <META NAME="rating" CONTENT="General">
    <META NAME="copyright" CONTENT="digital:harmony 1997-2004">
    <META NAME="author" CONTENT="digital:harmony, Edinburgh, Scotland">
    <META NAME="language" CONTENT="English">
    <META name="Publisher" content="digital:harmony">
    <META name="Publisher-Email" content="">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="MSThemeCompatible" Content="No">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=windows-1252">
    <LINK REL="ToC" href="http://www.subhuman.net/index.asp">
    <LINK REL="Home" href="http://www.subhuman.net/index.asp">

    SpaceGirl, Feb 23, 2004
  5. "Chet" <> wrote:

    > There are many more meta tags besides the keywords and
    > description.

    Mostly equally useless, or worse.

    > You don't put up anything you want to found by the
    > search engines, do you include a noindex meta tag? Or a
    > robots.txt?

    I don't think the expressed purpose was to specifically exclude search
    engines.

    > Check out Vancouver Webpages for more info on meta tags:

    A dated collection of mixed factoids, facts, and guesses.

    > Here's what I include on most pages:

    What do you expect the effect to be, apart from increased file size?

    > charset=iso-8859-1">

    That's probably the only useful meta tag in your sample. For some odd
    reason, people often include it even when it does not correspond to the
    actual encoding used.

    Worse than useless. And you say it three times in different wordings.
    Let me guess - you have absolutely no idea of what caches are and how
    they work?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Tony Cooper

    Tony Cooper Guest

    On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:13:42 -0800, "Chet"
    <> wrote:

    >"Tony Cooper" <> wrote in message
    >| Meta tags, as far as I can tell, are only used to embed
    >keywords and
    >| descriptions to facilitate search engines.
    >|
    >| I don't put anything up that I particularly want to be located
    >by a
    >| search engine. Is there any other reason that I should include
    >any
    >| information in a meta tag?
    >|

    >There are many more meta tags besides the keywords and
    >description. You don't put up anything you want to found by the
    >search engines, do you include a noindex meta tag? Or a
    >robots.txt?

    I guess I worded this ambiguously. I don't want to avoid being found
    on a search engine; I just have no interest in being found on a search
    engine. Think of a site with photographs and other family information
    that is of interest only to people that I send the url to. It's not a
    problem if anyone else stumbles across it. It's just not my intent.

    The answers, though, seem to indicate that there's no reason for me to
    include anything in meta tags. Thanks.

    Tony Cooper, Feb 23, 2004
  7. Tony Cooper

    Chet Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in message
    | "Chet" <> wrote:
    |
    | > There are many more meta tags besides the keywords and
    | > description.
    |
    | Mostly equally useless, or worse.

    I agree, nowadays most are worthless.

    | > You don't put up anything you want to found by the
    | > search engines, do you include a noindex meta tag? Or a
    | > robots.txt?
    |
    | I don't think the expressed purpose was to specifically exclude
    search
    | engines.

    I took the OP's meaning differently, I guess. I thought he was
    wondering if there was anyway to prevent a search engine from
    indexing his page.

    | > Check out Vancouver Webpages for more info on meta tags:
    |
    | A dated collection of mixed factoids, facts, and guesses.
    |
    | > Here's what I include on most pages:
    |
    | What do you expect the effect to be, apart from increased file
    size?

    I may be wrong, but I believe there are search engines that still
    utilize the index,follow and noindex meta tags. Some may even
    still index the keywords and descriptions.

    | > charset=iso-8859-1">
    |
    | That's probably the only useful meta tag in your sample. For
    some odd
    | reason, people often include it even when it does not
    correspond to the
    | actual encoding used.

    You're probably right, without it a page won't valid, although
    most pages on the Internet may fall into this non-validating
    category!

    | Worse than useless. And you say it three times in different
    wordings.
    | Let me guess - you have absolutely no idea of what caches are
    and how
    | they work?

    Yup, I said it three times!!

    Pragma no-cache is used to prevent IE clients from caching the
    page.

    Cache-Control is used for caching mechanisms along the
    request-response route.

    GMT">
    HTTP 1.0 will treat an Expires that is less or equal to the
    response date as being the same as no-cache.

    | --
    | Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    | Pages about Web authoring:
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www.html

    Sorry I offended you so much with my reply to the OP. And I'm not
    quite as stupid as you think I am.

    You know, you can always killfile me.

    --
    Chet
    (remove NO.....SPAM)

    Chet, Feb 24, 2004
  8. "Chet" <> wrote:

    > | > charset=iso-8859-1">
    > |
    > | That's probably the only useful meta tag in your sample. For some odd
    > | reason, people often include it even when it does not correspond to the
    > | actual encoding used.
    >
    > You're probably right, without it a page won't valid

    Depends. If the server sends the information already, it's not needed.

    --
    David Håsäther

    David Hasather, Feb 24, 2004
  9. "Chet" <> wrote:

    >| Mostly equally useless, or worse.
    >
    > I agree, nowadays most are worthless.

    Or worse. Giving wrong metadata usually causes no harm today, since so
    few programs use metadata anyway, but it might hurt in future.

    > I thought he was
    > wondering if there was anyway to prevent a search engine from
    > indexing his page.

    Well, for that thing the practical method would be the use of a meta
    tag. But the examples you gave didn't include such a tag - in fact, it
    included a tag that explicitly says "welcome, indexing robots! take
    anything you can" (which is the default anyway, but still).

    > I may be wrong, but I believe there are search engines that still
    > utilize the index,follow and noindex meta tags.

    That's a correct guess. But saying <meta name="robots"
    content="index,follow"> is pointless since it's the default, and
    what it means is the opposite of what you thought the OP meant.

    > Some may even
    > still index the keywords and descriptions.

    Maybe. With positive or negative weights.

    >| > charset=iso-8859-1">
    >|
    >| That's probably the only useful meta tag in your sample. For some
    >| odd reason, people often include it even when it does not
    >| correspond to the actual encoding used.
    >
    > You're probably right, without it a page won't valid,

    It has nothing to do with validity. It's simply a common and officially
    recognized trick of overcoming some server-side problems.

    >| Worse than useless. And you say it three times in different
    >| wordings. Let me guess - you have absolutely no idea of what
    >| caches are and how they work?
    >
    > Yup, I said it three times!!

    That's what I thought. So this confirms that you have absolutely no
    idea of what caches are and how they work, right?

    > Pragma no-cache is used to prevent IE clients from caching the
    > page.

    Well, that's not completely wrong. But your _goal_ of trying to prevent
    caching is most probably completely wrong.

    > Cache-Control is used for caching mechanisms along the
    > request-response route.

    Cool, where did you read that? Now you just need to understand what
    that route is, and how nobody on the route, except perhaps the browser
    at the other end, even looks at the tag, or parses HTML at all.

    > GMT">
    > HTTP 1.0 will treat an Expires that is less or equal to the
    > response date as being the same as no-cache.

    Who cares about HTTP 1.0 these days? But most probably the poor browser
    now spends a few more microseconds in processing your third way of
    saying that you don't understand caches and still want to control one.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Feb 24, 2004
  10. "Chet" <> wrote:
    > | > charset=iso-8859-1">
    > |
    > | That's probably the only useful meta tag in your sample. For some odd
    > | reason, people often include it even when it does not correspond to the
    > | actual encoding used.
    >
    > You're probably right, without it a page won't valid

    To clear things up with my other message (which hasn't arrived yet), a
    document can be valid without this information, but some validators
    must have the it to be able to validate.

    --
    David Håsäther

    David Hasather, Feb 24, 2004