Method cannot have a parameter of file type

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by sgregnt, Jun 10, 2007.

  1. sgregnt

    sgregnt

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Hi all,

    I am trying to declare procedure in protected type, with file as
    parameter
    but ModelSim does not allow that:
    I am receiving an error : "Method cannot have a parameter of
    file type".
    The code is compiled using VHDL 1076-2002.
    Also there is an explicit example in "The Designer's Guide To
    VHDL", 2nd edition,p 632-633. of exactly the same thing I am trying to
    do, but in my case it doesn't work :(.

    1) Any suggestions what might be wrong ?
    2) Any comment are welcome.

    Thanx!

    Here is the code I am trying to compile
    _____________________________

    Library IEEE;
    use IEEE.std_logic_1164.all

    Library std
    use std.textio.all

    package pkg_mem is
    type mem is protected
    procedure input_img (file image_file : text ); --
    the error is recieved on this line.
    end protected mem;
    end pkg_mem;

    package body pkg_mem is
    type mem is protected body
    procedure input_img(file image_file : text ) is
    begin
    end ;
    end protected body mem ;
    end pakage body pkg_mem ;