Method-Ready Pool of stateless session bean

Discussion in 'Java' started by gk, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. gk

    gk Guest

    The Method-Ready Pool

    Stateless bean instances enter the Method-Ready Pool as the container
    needs them. When the EJB server is first started, it will probably
    create a number of stateless bean instances and enter them into the
    Method-Ready Pool. (The actual behavior of the server depends on the
    implementation.) When the number of stateless instances servicing
    client requests is insufficient, more can be created and added to the
    pool

    i still dont understand the meaning of method ready pool ....whats
    the difference between bean/instance pool and method ready pool ?
    are they same ?

    look it says .."...it will probably create a number of stateless bean
    instances and enter them into the Method-Ready Pool..."

    they did not explain what does it mean by Method-Ready Pool .

    can you please explain ?

    gk, Feb 20, 2007

  2. gk

    Guest

    The specification says that beans must have a Constructor with no
    arguments. This usually means it is constructed without any useful
    data . So you must call a method after to get some useful data into
    the object. Consider You construct an employee object with no
    arguments, all you can do is reserve space for a string for his name,
    a number for his department but you don't know what it is. Later you
    can call initialize(123) where 123 is an employee number, you can then
    look up the name and number from the database and start using the
    employee object. I have been in the Java business for ten years and
    never seen a business case where this paradigm might be useful but it
    sure seems popular.

    Bob

    , Feb 20, 2007

  3. gk

    Chris Uppal Guest

    gk wrote:

    > i still dont understand the meaning of method ready pool ....whats
    > the difference between bean/instance pool and method ready pool ?
    > are they same ?

    As far as I can tell, the term "instance pool" is used for all EJBs, but the
    term "method ready pool" is used only in in the case where the EJB is a
    stateless session bean. If so, then the two mean essentially the same thing.

    The only reason for distinguishing the two at all is that the container handles
    the two classes of bean rather differently (the lifecycle of entity beans and
    stateless session beans is similar but not identical). So, when you have
    different kinds of enterprise beans, you have different kinds of pools to put
    them in.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Feb 20, 2007