method to test if a file exist?

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen

Oliver Wong said:
To be fair, you probably wouldn't want to start your thesis
statement with "IMHO" either.

Nothing to be humble about. But if you explain the abbreviation the
first time it is used, it'll probably be accepted (as language,
perhaps not content).

/L

Chris Uppal

Oliver said:
I've started giving "possibly-lazy" posters the benefit of the doubt,
and rather than just say "Use Google", I actually perform a quick google
query. [...]

It seems as sensible a technique as any. I wonder whether it could be
automated...

Indeed, since most such questions seem to be posted via Google, I think Google
ought to automate it for us ;-)

-- chris

Roedy Green

Nothing to be humble about. But if you explain the abbreviation the
first time it is used, it'll probably be accepted (as language,
perhaps not content).

Netspeak and Textspeak are quite different sorts of animals. NetSpeak
in a list of acronyms.. It could be likened to occupational jargon.

Textspeak is a sort of shorthand that requires effort to decode
considering the complete context. It can't simply be memorised.

By the way what does "nd" mean in textspeak? Sorry I don't have a
context. It was just one of the words I collected for the sample
dictionary.

Andrew McDonagh

Roedy said:
Netspeak and Textspeak are quite different sorts of animals. NetSpeak
in a list of acronyms.. It could be likened to occupational jargon.

Textspeak is a sort of shorthand that requires effort to decode
considering the complete context. It can't simply be memorised.

By the way what does "nd" mean in textspeak? Sorry I don't have a
context. It was just one of the words I collected for the sample
dictionary.

end

George Cherry

Roedy Green said:
Netspeak and Textspeak are quite different sorts of animals. NetSpeak
in a list of acronyms.. It could be likened to occupational jargon.

Textspeak is a sort of shorthand that requires effort to decode
considering the complete context. It can't simply be memorised.

By the way what does "nd" mean in textspeak? Sorry I don't have a
context. It was just one of the words I collected for the sample
dictionary.

Since phonetics (pronunciation) is usually the
kee (i.e., key) to textspeak, I wood (i.e., would)
guess "nd" is end. George Bernard Shaw had
a campaign to switch English to phonetic spelling.
It bombed out because SO many books were
spelled conventionally, that it would be a problem
to make the conversion.

George

Luc The Perverse

George Cherry said:
Since phonetics (pronunciation) is usually the
kee (i.e., key) to textspeak, I wood (i.e., would)
guess "nd" is end. George Bernard Shaw had
a campaign to switch English to phonetic spelling.
It bombed out because SO many books were
spelled conventionally, that it would be a problem
to make the conversion.

George

I've often wondered how that works in languages which have spelling reform,
like Spanish. And even with all this spelling reform, the word Ballet
still ends up spelled ballet. Do you know how that would sound spelled
out?

I think nd can mean end or and