MFC SDI Explorer-style project --how can I use 3rd party ActiveX controls for treeview/fileview?

GS

Hi,
I'm just starting to use C++ after working with VB[A] for some years.
I'm trying to convert a VB6 project to C++ MFC so I can use my existing
ActiveX components. These are a treeVw.ocx, fileVw.ocx, and Farpoint's
Spread.ocx.

I have these working in a dialog-based project right now, but I need to
have a splitter between the treeview and fileview OCXs. The
complication is that the Spread.ocx has to be positioned/sized same as
the fileview so switching views just toggles visibility. I have this
working in the dialog-based project but no pane splitter. (For clarity,
I have only duplicated the UI at this point. The only other
functionality it has is showing CHM help.)

In VB a splitter was easy to achieve using a label. My research into
doing that in C++ concludes it's doable, but very complex coding is
necessary.

The Explorer-style project already produces a dialog with the splitter
working as I need it to. I just don't know how to code for my controls
to occupy the panes. (Nor do I know if the OCXs will work in the form!)

Any help/suggestions will be most appreciated!

--
Garry

ClassicVB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Victor Bazarov

[...]

You may not see it as much help, and if so, it's unfortunate, yet I
would like to point out to you that you're in a wrong place. Your
question belongs to an Microsoft online forum dedicated to MFC rather
than to comp.lang.c++. We here deal with the C++ *language*, not with
third-party libraries, especially such highly specialized and
platform-specific ones like MFC. I am not sure what the right link is,
but I'd try 'www.msdn.com' first. Google Groups probably has some
MFC-specific discussion areas as well.

Good luck!

Oh, and if your goal is to use custom controls, C# and .NET are probably
more suitable for that task than C++. Just FYI.

GS

Victor Bazarov brought next idea :
You may not see it as much help, and if so, it's unfortunate, yet I would
like to point out to you that you're in a wrong place. Your question belongs
to an Microsoft online forum dedicated to MFC rather than to comp.lang.c++.
We here deal with the C++ *language*, not with third-party libraries,
especially such highly specialized and platform-specific ones like MFC. I am
not sure what the right link is, but I'd try 'www.msdn.com' first. Google
Groups probably has some MFC-specific discussion areas as well.

Good luck!

Oh, and if your goal is to use custom controls, C# and .NET are probably more
suitable for that task than C++. Just FYI.

Thank you Victor!
I prefer to *not* use google group format and so I see if there's a
group dedicated to MFC on my news server.

As for the .NET approach.., it doesn't support using my existing AX
components on Windows Forms, and at this point I'm not interested in
buying new OCXs. (However, I've already een that what I want to do is
easily achieved using CLR!<g>)