MFC/VC/ATL Goldmine Site Updated http://cppgoldmine.uuuq.com/Convert/index.html

Brian Muth

I just tried hitting this site to see if there is any improvement. The link
gives me an "Internal Server Error".

I suspect this site still sucks. Anyone offer a positive opinion? (other
than the OP?)

Brian Muth

Tried again 5 hours later. Still gives:

Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, (e-mail address removed) and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.

An unavailable site is a useless site, IMHO.

Javier Albiero

Tried again 5 hours later. Still gives:

Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, (e-mail address removed) and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.

An unavailable site is a useless site, IMHO.

For me it's ok, the site is working (I tried yesterday in the morning,
my morning or course, and it was working too. The (little?) downside
is the site has pop-up ads.

Regards

Guest

For me it's ok, the site is working (I tried yesterday in the morning,
my morning or course, and it was working too. The (little?) downside
is the site has pop-up ads.

Regards

They changed some things on uuuq.com and it broke access.
It is all fixed now.

Guest

Tried again 5 hours later. Still gives:

Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, (e-mail address removed) and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.

An unavailable site is a useless site, IMHO.

Mirros on by.ru should be working fine
except they added their popup ads a few days ago.
But that is a fast site and it is one of the biggest
sites in Russia with millions of customers.
One of the most reliable sites I have seen to date.

To access by.ru mirrors, use

http://mfcgoldmine.by.ru/Convert/index.html - MFC/VC/ATL
http://cppgoldmine.by.ru/Convert/index.html - C++
http://javagoldmine.by.ru/Convert/index.html - Java

Guest

Tried again 5 hours later. Still gives:

Internal Server Error

to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, (e-mail address removed) and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.

An unavailable site is a useless site, IMHO.

Btw, you articles, and of some other big mouths are specifically
excluded from the expert section.

You talk too much and your talk is all hot air.

Plus all this ugly and utterly insane article formatting
by Joe Newcomer falls into this category.

If you write ugly articles, you are not going to be included
in Experts chapters. Simple as that.

The article format better be:

1. Line length < 79 chars.
2. One empty line before and after followups.
If there are no blank lines, it looks ugly.
If there are several blank lines in a row, the same thing.

3. Provide detailed, to the point info.

4. Do not strip the original content you are following up.
Otherwise, it is not clear what are you following up
and what was original content.

5. Format code with blanks. Do not use tabs in Usenet
articles.

6. Provide reasoning of why do you think your way is
"better" or more correct.

7. Provide info on compatibilities and/or environment
if appropriate.

Lots of ugly formatting has been automatically corrected.
But some of it is not easy to do automatically, especially
if we are talking about code, which can not be formatted
automatically, which in turns complicates the automatic
formatting process.

Your articles become a part of global information system.
The more precise and detailed they are, the more useful.

If you provide sufficient keywords, finding your articles
becomes much better. You can even use the Keywords: header
if you wish, where you provide additional related keywords.

The filters are used for goldmine collection are the most
sophisticated filters there are. We can find a needle in
a haystack and find code examples on any desired issue.

A request to expand/collapse thereads has been implemented.
It makes it easier to see individual threads.

As for all other visual garbage you can usually find on
just about any site, it is specifically not included.
These collections only have the information from the
articles. No marketing or any other crap is included.
No pretty pictures and you name it.

One more time: write detailed articles and explain your
code if it is not straightforward.

Btw, if any of you have requests for specific chapters
or issues, post it under this thread. It will be
automatically downloaded and reviewed.

Michael Mol

On Apr 14, 3:06 am, (e-mail address removed) wrote:> As for all other
visual garbage you can usually find on
just about any site, it is specifically not included.
These collections only have the information from the
articles. No marketing or any other crap is included.
No pretty pictures and you name it.

As opposed to the popups? Firefox prevents one from opening as soon
as I visit the site. If I select the "No Frames" version, you just
feed me the index column's page, with pop-up links that both open the
relevant article index, while at the same time taking advantage of my
click to bring up a pop-up ad. Not very classy, not very neat.

I honestly like the idea of cross-referencing Usenet content; I had
the idea myself a few months back, though my plans aren't limited to
Usenet articles. However, I think your implementation and
presentation are terrible, and your attitude is even worse. I don't
think you're going to garner a lot of site loyalty that way.

And like I said, I had a similar idea, and my plans for presentation
and layout were going to be quite a bit different, and my scope a bit
broader than just MFC and C++. If you're interested, you can drop me
a line; Depending on communications, I'd be willing to front the costs
for server space and management, and even put a bit of time into
better presentation. I already have the domain I had in mind. I
wasn't going to go with automated aggregation and keyword-based
categorization, though; I was planning on taking advantage of human
editors, much like we do at Rosetta Code.

I don't munge the email address that goes out in the headers; My email
address should be easy to find.

Guest

On Apr 14, 3:06 am, (e-mail address removed) wrote:> As for all other
visual garbage you can usually find on

As opposed to the popups?

Use uuuq.com sites. There are no popups there.
The popups is something new that just came up within
last few days. They are put up by hosting provider.
There isn't anything that can be done except of dumping
that domain, which isn't such a good idea.
Firefox prevents one from opening as soon
as I visit the site.

That's a pitty.
If I select the "No Frames" version, you just
feed me the index column's page, with pop-up links that both open the
relevant article index, while at the same time taking advantage of my
click to bring up a pop-up ad.  Not very classy, not very neat.
I honestly like the idea of cross-referencing Usenet content; I had
the idea myself a few months back, though my plans aren't limited to
Usenet articles.  However, I think your implementation and
presentation are terrible,

Can you be more specific?
and your attitude is even worse.  I don't
think you're going to garner a lot of site loyalty that way.

It is YOUR attitude that is to be discussed.
There is no ego involvement in the sites.
It is just pure information. Take it or leave it.
And like I said, I had a similar idea, and my plans for presentation
and layout were going to be quite a bit different, and my scope a bit
broader than just MFC and C++.

So do it. What prevents you?
Better than running your mouth about condemning something
that actually works and has hundreds of page views every day
and visited by the biggest players.

:--}

Btw, best navigation you can imagine.
No screen refreshes. Everything stays put so you can see
exactly where you were with a previous click.
You just need to work with the site and learn how to use
it for your benefit. I know about all major sites and
there isn't a single one that comes close to this one,
if you really know what you are talking about.
 If you're interested, you can drop me
a line;

You can send email to preciseinfo at mail dot ru
with specific issues, ideas, suggesions or whatever.
If you really want to get your hands wet, there are things
that always need to be done, especially if you are good
programmer or site designer.
Depending on communications, I'd be willing to front the costs
for server space and management, and even put a bit of time into
better presentation.

Fine. Offer was provided for creative people to get involved.
It is up to you what you want to do. Either simply talk,
or get creative and space for creativity is available.
What else do you want?
:--}
 I already have the domain I had in mind.  I
wasn't going to go with automated aggregation and keyword-based
categorization, though; I was planning on taking advantage of human
editors, much like we do at Rosetta Code.

Gimme a link. I'll look at what you got.
I don't munge the email address that goes out in the headers; My email
address should be easy to find.

Fine. Enjoy.
There is PLENTY of top notch info on collections.
Especially the A chapters. Guaranteed to be original code
by the authors.

Btw, filter specifications could be improved even further
if you want to spend some time on it. There is just too much
work with tweaking filters. But you can build 9th order filters
with it and with filters of such precision you can find an
apple on the moon and see it full screen.

Guest