Michael Sparks in October 2004 PCW.

Alan Kennedy

Dear Pythonistas,

One of our own, Michael Sparks, appears in an article in the October
2004 print edition of Personal Computer World, on the future of digital
television and the digitisation of BBC television archives.

http://www.pcw.co.uk/news/1157046

At least, I'm assuming that there's only one engineer called Michael
Sparks who works for BBC research!

For those unaware of it, Personal Computer World is the most venerable
IT magazine in the UK: sort of the UK's equivalent of Byte Magazine. And
it's still going. I've been reading it on and off for almost 25 years
now, since the zx81 and oric-1(!) days.

Fascinating work, Michael! I'd love to talk with you sometime about your
usage of python co-routines and asynch-io in the media field. I've been
following the development of digital television standards for a few
years now.

I have a lot of respect for the BBC, and am particularly impressed by
their current software efforts, such as Dirac.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/dirac/overview.shtml

It's good to see a familiar (and quotable :) pythonista right there in
the midst of it.

Nice one, Michael.