Microperl and modules!

srrao

I am very new to perl.

1) Can we use perl modules in microperl.

2) Where can I find what can be done in perl and not in microperl?

TIA
Sandeep

Uri Guttman

s> I am very new to perl.
s> 1) Can we use perl modules in microperl.

s> 2) Where can I find what can be done in perl and not in microperl?

i am assuming you mean microperl as the thing built during building
perl? it is meant only for bootstrapping the build of normal perl. i
have never heard of anyone trying to use it in the real world so i would
just not try to use it. and you can trust that in the perl community if
someone found microperl useful, it would be used and that would be
known.

uri

Ilya Zakharevich

Anno Siegel
No, that's miniperl. Microperl appears to be Simon Cozens' baby.

Do not think so...
It is derived from miniperl, but not identical.

Nope. miniperl is a complete working perl; the only difference is it
DOES NOT HAVE XSLoader extensions loaded (or loadable). Its only use
is to make Extension-making toolset work, so XSLoader can be build,
and linked to Perl executable (well, the situation is SLIGHTLY
different if ALL Perl extensions are statically loaded...).

microperl is a brain-damaged version of perl build using only make,
without any system-sniffing done by ./Configure. Its only (original)
purpose is to make a hypothetical
replacement-for-./Configure-written-in-Perl work.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

Anno Siegel

Ilya Zakharevich said:
Anno Siegel
No, that's miniperl. Microperl appears to be Simon Cozens' baby.

Do not think so...

"_microperl_ is something I've worked on for quite a few months now..."
(Simon Cozens)
Nope. miniperl is a complete working perl; the only difference is it
DOES NOT HAVE XSLoader extensions loaded (or loadable). Its only use
is to make Extension-making toolset work, so XSLoader can be build,
and linked to Perl executable (well, the situation is SLIGHTLY
different if ALL Perl extensions are statically loaded...).

microperl is a brain-damaged version of perl build using only make,
without any system-sniffing done by ./Configure. Its only (original)
purpose is to make a hypothetical
replacement-for-./Configure-written-in-Perl work.

Thanks for the elaboration. Considering I said almost nothing concrete,
how does it contradict what I said? :)

Anno