    2) Where can I find what can be done in perl and not in microperl?

    TIA
    Sandeep
    srrao, Apr 5, 2006

  2. srrao

    Uri Guttman Guest

    >>>>> "s" == srrao <> writes:

    s> I am very new to perl.
    s> 1) Can we use perl modules in microperl.

    s> 2) Where can I find what can be done in perl and not in microperl?

    i am assuming you mean microperl as the thing built during building
    perl? it is meant only for bootstrapping the build of normal perl. i
    have never heard of anyone trying to use it in the real world so i would
    just not try to use it. and you can trust that in the perl community if
    someone found microperl useful, it would be used and that would be
    known.

    uri

    Uri Guttman, Apr 5, 2006

  3. srrao

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Uri Guttman <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:

    > s> I am very new to perl.
    > s> 1) Can we use perl modules in microperl.
    >
    > s> 2) Where can I find what can be done in perl and not in microperl?
    >
    > i am assuming you mean microperl as the thing built during building
    > perl?

    No, that's miniperl. Microperl appears to be Simon Cozens' baby.
    It is derived from miniperl, but not identical. See, for instance,
    http://www.foo.be/docs/tpj/issues/vol5_3/tpj0503-0003.html.

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Apr 6, 2006
    Anno Siegel
    <-berlin.de>], who wrote in article <>:
    > No, that's miniperl. Microperl appears to be Simon Cozens' baby.

    Do not think so...

    > It is derived from miniperl, but not identical.

    Nope. miniperl is a complete working perl; the only difference is it
    DOES NOT HAVE XSLoader extensions loaded (or loadable). Its only use
    is to make Extension-making toolset work, so XSLoader can be build,
    and linked to Perl executable (well, the situation is SLIGHTLY
    different if ALL Perl extensions are statically loaded...).

    microperl is a brain-damaged version of perl build using only make,
    without any system-sniffing done by ./Configure. Its only (original)
    purpose is to make a hypothetical
    replacement-for-./Configure-written-in-Perl work.

    Hope this helps,
    Ilya
    Ilya Zakharevich, Apr 6, 2006
  5. srrao

    Anno Siegel Guest

    Ilya Zakharevich <> wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc:
    > Anno Siegel
    > <-berlin.de>], who wrote in article
    > <>:
    > > No, that's miniperl. Microperl appears to be Simon Cozens' baby.

    > Do not think so...

    "_microperl_ is something I've worked on for quite a few months now..."
    (Simon Cozens)

    > > It is derived from miniperl, but not identical.

    > Nope. miniperl is a complete working perl; the only difference is it
    > DOES NOT HAVE XSLoader extensions loaded (or loadable). Its only use
    > is to make Extension-making toolset work, so XSLoader can be build,
    > and linked to Perl executable (well, the situation is SLIGHTLY
    > different if ALL Perl extensions are statically loaded...).
    >
    > microperl is a brain-damaged version of perl build using only make,
    > without any system-sniffing done by ./Configure. Its only (original)
    > purpose is to make a hypothetical
    > replacement-for-./Configure-written-in-Perl work.

    Thanks for the elaboration. Considering I said almost nothing concrete,
    how does it contradict what I said? :)

    Anno
    Anno Siegel, Apr 6, 2006