Microsoft and Sun JVM ?

Discussion in 'Java' started by IchBin, Jan 1, 2005.

  1. IchBin

    IchBin Guest

    avp wrote:
    > hi there,
    >
    > sorry for cross-posting
    >
    > I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet
    > using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
    > without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, i know that the Microsoft
    > JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP, also
    > i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3 and it runs
    >
    > I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM
    >
    > any suggestions ??

    Lot's of luck...

    Sorry I can not be more instructive but MS VM's an unsupported version
    of sun's. MS would love to have Java users to have hard times because of
    their own implementation of c#. You would have to distribute your applet
    with Sun's 'Java Web Start' and this could download a JVM that is more
    Java compliment and current...

    Happy New Year...
    IchBin

    'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
    substances:
    if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
    - Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist
    IchBin, Jan 1, 2005

  2. On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:26:05 -0800, avp wrote:

    > sorry for cross-posting

    Most people would prefer that you refrain from cross-posting,
    rather than do it and apologise. If you are apologising for
    something that has already happened *prevuisly* and is somehow
    connected with this thread, ignore the above.

    > I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet

    How simple? Swing/AWT? Code?

    ...URL? (you can link to the code even)

    > using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
    > without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, ..

    Does it walk? Maybe it is just weary.

    To put that another, less sarcastic way..
    <http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

    >..i know that the Microsoft
    > JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP,

    The MSJVM was never installed in IE for the Mac.

    >..also
    > i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3

    You cannot have tested on anything but Windows, by the sounds of it,
    so that is hardly 'all the system'..

    >..and it runs
    >
    > I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM
    >
    > any suggestions ??

    1) Find out if the code can run on Java 1.1 as is.
    (supply URL and link to short code)

    [ Note: F'Ups set to c.l.j.help only ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 1, 2005

    *

    >..distribute your applet with Sun's 'Java Web Start' ..

    If the applet is intended for Java 1.3+, this is an excellent solution.

    * Though there are other options, including Sun's HTMLConverter
    and the JavaVersionApplet.
    <http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#version>

    >..and this could download a JVM that is more Java compliment ..

    'compliant'

    > ..and current...

    Like, this millenium! The MSVM (last version around 96?) is
    a dinosaur by comparison.

    [ F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    avp, Jan 1, 2005
  5. On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:37:58 -0800, avp wrote:

    Trimmed all the stuff that confirmed you were writing applets that
    *are* Java 1.1 compatible. That is an important thing to understand,
    since there is no reason to make an AWT applet 1.1 incompatible through
    poor choice of compilation options. But..

    > my current code didnt worked with 1.1, i have to modify it and then compile
    > it with 1.1.8 and it worked

    You don't actually need to compilke with Java 1.1.8 in order
    to get class files that are 1.1 compatible. If your *code* is
    1.1 compatible, you can simply compile with the "-target 1.1" option
    if you are using a pre 1.5 compiler, or "-target 1.1 -source 1.3"
    for the 1.5 javac. Something like

    javac -target 1.1 -source 1.3 *.java

    > thank you :)

    You're welcome. But you're not finished until you have the
    applet safely tucked into some valid HTML with sensible alt/alternate
    text. ..So where's that URL? ;-)

    [ F-Ups set to c.l.j.help ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 2, 2005
  6. IchBin

    avp Guest

    hi
    "Andrew Thompson" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 12:26:05 -0800, avp wrote:
    >
    > > sorry for cross-posting

    > Most people would prefer that you refrain from cross-posting,
    > rather than do it and apologise. If you are apologising for
    > something that has already happened *prevuisly* and is somehow
    > connected with this thread, ignore the above.

    thank you, i will remember this next time :)

    > > I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet

    > How simple? Swing/AWT? Code?

    its a very basic Class extending Applet using AWT, displaying 15 labels on
    the screen
    I would like to run this applet on the older MS systems which comes with
    some default MSVM, and i would like to target other java versions as well <
    1.3*

    > ..URL? (you can link to the code even)
    > > using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
    > > without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, ..

    > Does it walk? Maybe it is just weary.

    Opps !! run = execute

    > To put that another, less sarcastic way..
    > <http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

    thanks for the great FAQ ! but still it didnt help me, I am still googling,

    > >..i know that the Microsoft
    > > JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP,

    > The MSJVM was never installed in IE for the Mac.

    didnt knew that !

    > >..also
    > > i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3

    > You cannot have tested on anything but Windows, by the sounds of it,
    > so that is hardly 'all the system'..

    yep ! you are right

    avp, Jan 2, 2005
  7. IchBin

    minhaz Guest

    for watching u r applet plzz use applet browser and never try to test
    java product in ms like j++ of j# this both are implemented by microsoft
    minhaz, Jan 3, 2005
  8. On 2 Jan 2005 16:40:48 -0800, minhaz wrote:

    > for watching u r applet plzz

    For typing usenet posts please use your 'shift' key where appropriate..
    <http://www.physci.org/kbd.jsp?key=shift>

    Most people would also appreciate if you dropped the 'kewl'
    abbreviations like 'u r' and 'plzz'.

    >..use applet browser ..

    Applet browser is OK for some applet testing but there are many
    things it cannot do - anything to do with mutliple applets or
    applet/Javascript interaction for example - it also presents a
    less restricted security environment for the applet, so some
    things that work locally in AppletViewer will fail on the net.

    >..and never try to test java product in ms ..

    Since IE/Java interaction can be quite 'quirky' it makes perfect
    sense to test your applets in a Win/IE* combo., if available.

    * Amongst other browser/VM/OS posibilities.

    [ F'Ups set to c.l.j.help ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    Andrew Thompson, Jan 3, 2005
  9. IchBin

    > On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:37:58 -0800, avp wrote:

    [...]
    > You don't actually need to compilke with Java 1.1.8 in order
    > to get class files that are 1.1 compatible. If your *code* is
    > 1.1 compatible, you can simply compile with the "-target 1.1" option
    > if you are using a pre 1.5 compiler, or "-target 1.1 -source 1.3"
    > for the 1.5 javac. Something like
    >
    > javac -target 1.1 -source 1.3 *.java

    mm..i was expecting something like this might be there,..

    > > thank you :)

    > You're welcome. But you're not finished until you have the
    > applet safely tucked into some valid HTML with sensible alt/alternate
    > text. ..So where's that URL? ;-)

    currently I am testing it using my local IIS, i'll try to get back when i am
    through with the applet

    and once again, very thank you :)
    avp, Jan 3, 2005