Microsoft and Sun JVM ?

IchBin

avp said:
hi there,

sorry for cross-posting

I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet
using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, i know that the Microsoft
JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP, also
i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3 and it runs

I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM

any suggestions ??
Lot's of luck...

Sorry I can not be more instructive but MS VM's an unsupported version
of sun's. MS would love to have Java users to have hard times because of
their own implementation of c#. You would have to distribute your applet
with Sun's 'Java Web Start' and this could download a JVM that is more
Java compliment and current...

Happy New Year...
IchBin

'The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical
substances:
if there is any reaction, both are transformed.'
- Carl Gustav Jung, (1875-1961), psychiatrist and psychologist

Andrew Thompson

sorry for cross-posting

Most people would prefer that you refrain from cross-posting,
rather than do it and apologise. If you are apologising for
something that has already happened *prevuisly* and is somehow
connected with this thread, ignore the above.
I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet

How simple? Swing/AWT? Code?

...URL? (you can link to the code even)
using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, ..

Does it walk? Maybe it is just weary.

To put that another, less sarcastic way..
..i know that the Microsoft
JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP,

The MSJVM was never installed in IE for the Mac.
..also
i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3

You cannot have tested on anything but Windows, by the sounds of it,
so that is hardly 'all the system'..
..and it runs

I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM

any suggestions ??

1) Find out if the code can run on Java 1.1 as is.
(supply URL and link to short code)

[ Note: F'Ups set to c.l.j.help only ]

Andrew Thompson

You would have to ..
*

..distribute your applet with Sun's 'Java Web Start' ..

If the applet is intended for Java 1.3+, this is an excellent solution.

* Though there are other options, including Sun's HTMLConverter
and the JavaVersionApplet.
..and this could download a JVM that is more Java compliment ..
'compliant'

..and current...

Like, this millenium! The MSVM (last version around 96?) is
a dinosaur by comparison.

[ F'Ups set to c.l.j.programmer ]

avp

hi there,

sorry for cross-posting

I am a newbie with Java programming here, I have written a simple applet
using Java SDK 1.4.2 now when i try to run this applet on other system
without sun's JVM impementation this does not run, i know that the Microsoft
JVM is suppose to be present on all the system except newer Windows XP, also
i have tested my applet on all the system using Sun JVM > 1.3 and it runs

I am looking for some way for my applet to run using Microsoft JVM

any suggestions ??

Andrew Thompson

On Sun, 2 Jan 2005 14:37:58 -0800, avp wrote:

Trimmed all the stuff that confirmed you were writing applets that
*are* Java 1.1 compatible. That is an important thing to understand,
since there is no reason to make an AWT applet 1.1 incompatible through
poor choice of compilation options. But..
my current code didnt worked with 1.1, i have to modify it and then compile
it with 1.1.8 and it worked

You don't actually need to compilke with Java 1.1.8 in order
to get class files that are 1.1 compatible. If your *code* is
1.1 compatible, you can simply compile with the "-target 1.1" option
if you are using a pre 1.5 compiler, or "-target 1.1 -source 1.3"
for the 1.5 javac. Something like

javac -target 1.1 -source 1.3 *.java
thank you :)

You're welcome. But you're not finished until you have the
applet safely tucked into some valid HTML with sensible alt/alternate
text. ..So where's that URL? ;-)

[ F-Ups set to c.l.j.help ]

avp

hi
Andrew Thompson said:
Most people would prefer that you refrain from cross-posting,
rather than do it and apologise. If you are apologising for
something that has already happened *prevuisly* and is somehow
connected with this thread, ignore the above.

thank you, i will remember this next time :)
How simple? Swing/AWT? Code?

its a very basic Class extending Applet using AWT, displaying 15 labels on
the screen
I would like to run this applet on the older MS systems which comes with
some default MSVM, and i would like to target other java versions as well <
1.3*
..URL? (you can link to the code even)

Does it walk? Maybe it is just weary.

Opps !! run = execute
To put that another, less sarcastic way..
<http://physci.org/codes/javafaq.jsp#exact>

thanks for the great FAQ ! but still it didnt help me, I am still googling,
The MSJVM was never installed in IE for the Mac.

didnt knew that !
You cannot have tested on anything but Windows, by the sounds of it,
so that is hardly 'all the system'..

yep ! you are right
1) Find out if the code can run on Java 1.1 as is.
(supply URL and link to short code)

my current code didnt worked with 1.1, i have to modify it and then compile
it with 1.1.8 and it worked

thank you :)

minhaz

for watching u r applet plzz use applet browser and never try to test
java product in ms like j++ of j# this both are implemented by microsoft

Andrew Thompson

for watching u r applet plzz

For typing usenet posts please use your 'shift' key where appropriate..
<http://www.physci.org/kbd.jsp?key=shift>

Most people would also appreciate if you dropped the 'kewl'
abbreviations like 'u r' and 'plzz'.
..use applet browser ..

Applet browser is OK for some applet testing but there are many
things it cannot do - anything to do with mutliple applets or
applet/Javascript interaction for example - it also presents a
less restricted security environment for the applet, so some
things that work locally in AppletViewer will fail on the net.
..and never try to test java product in ms ..

Since IE/Java interaction can be quite 'quirky' it makes perfect
sense to test your applets in a Win/IE* combo., if available.

* Amongst other browser/VM/OS posibilities.

[ F'Ups set to c.l.j.help ]

avp

hi !!
Andrew Thompson said:
]
You don't actually need to compilke with Java 1.1.8 in order
to get class files that are 1.1 compatible. If your *code* is
1.1 compatible, you can simply compile with the "-target 1.1" option
if you are using a pre 1.5 compiler, or "-target 1.1 -source 1.3"
for the 1.5 javac. Something like

javac -target 1.1 -source 1.3 *.java

mm..i was expecting something like this might be there,..
You're welcome. But you're not finished until you have the
applet safely tucked into some valid HTML with sensible alt/alternate
text. ..So where's that URL? ;-)

currently I am testing it using my local IIS, i'll try to get back when i am
through with the applet

and once again, very thank you :)