    --
    Brian Tol
    http://www.wiremine.org
    Brian Tol, May 1, 2007

  2. Brian Tol

    Guest

    There is more meat to this now that MIX07 has concluded.

    There will be the Dynamic Language Runtime which extends the CLR.

    >From Miguel De Icaza (http://tirania.org/blog/)

    Binaries of the DLR were released as part of Silverlight 1.1, and the
    source code was included with IronPython 2.0 (also released today).

    The release for the DLR is done under the terms of the Microsoft
    Permissive License (MsPL) which is by all means an open source
    license. This means that we can use and distribute the DLR as part of
    Mono without having to build it from scratch. A brilliant move by
    Microsoft.

    During the keynote they announced support for four dynamic languages
    built on top of the DLR: Python, JavaScript (ECMAScript 3.0), Visual
    Basic and Ruby.

    The real details can be found at: Jim Hugunin's Thinking Dynamic -
    http://blogs.msdn.com/hugunin/

    This looks like something to watch.
    , May 1, 2007

  3. Brian Tol

    James Britt Guest

    wrote:
    > There is more meat to this now that MIX07 has concluded.
    >
    > There will be the Dynamic Language Runtime which extends the CLR.
    >
    >>From Miguel De Icaza (http://tirania.org/blog/)

    > Binaries of the DLR were released as part of Silverlight 1.1, and the
    > source code was included with IronPython 2.0 (also released today).
    >
    > The release for the DLR is done under the terms of the Microsoft
    > Permissive License (MsPL) which is by all means an open source
    > license. This means that we can use and distribute the DLR as part of
    > Mono without having to build it from scratch. A brilliant move by
    > Microsoft.

    Can someone confirm (or not) that this means one can write Ruby code,
    compile it to DLR, and run it on Mono?

    I.e., I can write and deploy Ruby.net code all on my Linux boxen?

    That would be super bad.

    --
    James Britt

    "I can see them saying something like 'OMG Three Wizards Awesome'"
    - billinboston, on reddit.com
    James Britt, May 1, 2007
  4. Brian Tol

    Mike Berrow Guest

    About 5/6 of the way through this demonstration (using a Safari
    browser),
    Ruby is shown running directly in the browser alongside Python, Jscript
    and Visual Basic. They are being used to manipulate a XAML canvas.

    The downloadable alpha 1.1 version of this "DLRConsole" at
    (http://silverlight.net/community/communitygallery.aspx)
    has only Python and Jscript however. Ruby will be released "later".

    Many more details are in this interesting talk between John Udell
    and John Lam. http://channel9.msdn.com/Showpost.aspx?postid=304541

    The Adobe guys aren't too impressed. Ted Patrick (Flex Evangelist) says
    "The shroud of the dark side has fallen, begun the clone war has." -
    Yoda
    http://www.onflex.org/ted/2007/04/m-silverlight-vs-adobe-flash-player.php

    How complete is it? Time will tell.

    -- Mike Berrow