Microsoft Enterprise Library with ASP.NET

belius

Hi all,

I am building an ASP.NET internet application and I am considering the
opportunity to use the Exception Handling Application Block and the
Logging Application Block to handle the exception through the layers
(BLL,DAL,WEBUI).

My doubt is:

Are they the perfect solution for this kind of scenario or are they
built to help better the windows forms developers?
I am afraid they are too heavy for a web application.

Am I wrong?

garethdjames

We have used the exception handling application block and found it to
be very good, it gives you the plumbing to be able to publish and
record exceptions.

It does require that you have an exception strategy, as of most things,
it still requires you to think about the problem

Mark Rae

My doubt is:

Are they the perfect solution for this kind of scenario or are they
built to help better the windows forms developers?
I am afraid they are too heavy for a web application.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong at all, in my opinion.

I've always found the Application Blocks to be an excellent guide towards
good techniques and best working practices but, in being so, find them FAR
too generic and overblown for my needs. I have referred to them in writing
my own suite of base classes (DAL, validation, exception handling, registry
maniplation, event logging, ADSI, encryption etc), but would strongly urge
developers not to assume that they will solve all their problems. Much
better, I think, to consider the problem through and arrive at a reasoned
solution, albeit using the Application Blocks as reference, rather than just
taking someone else's code and hoping for the best.

Did you ever use any of the sample code which older versions of IIS
installed when writing "classic" ASP apps...?