microsoft enterprise library

Justin Kadima

I'm considering porting one of my application in order to use the Microsoft
enterprise library and I am contemplating the pros and cons of doing it. Are
you guys using the library?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Yes, but it is more an artifact of the code generator we use (.NET Tiers
with CodeSmith). I am not against it. It has its pluses AND minuses.

Pros:
* Low cost infrastructure (time and money)
* Well documented, including webcasts, etc.
* SOmeone else maintains the code - not on your dime

Cons
* Have to conform application patterns to Enterprise Library
* Someone else maintains the code - can change things

The library may be a bit too heavy weight for many apps, but it performs
nicely.

Mark Fitzpatrick

I've been using it for data access for a while now. The new enterprise
library, compared to the older application blocks, is very nice. I primarily
use the Data features of the library and find them to make things a lot
easier. The data portion, for example, is now designed to be database
agnostic and is not focused solely on SQL Server. You might want to just try
to update a particular page or small portion to see how you like the
features. I find the performance to be excellent as well as the ease of use
and adaptability.

Justin Kadima

The data access part looks interesting indeed, although the fact that the
library needs a different configuration file and a different configuration
tool looks a little hard to maintain.

I'm going to give it a try anyway.

Thanks,