Microsoft finally kill Mac/IE

Andy Dingley

Have you, over a goodly period of time, actually used this
browser on a Mac?

In '99 I bought an iMac just to run it (my first ever Mac). I planned to
buy dozens of iMacs to run it, handing them out as freebies to each of
our commercial partners in a large "Hang the expense, just get it
deployed easily to the computer-illiterate partners" extranet. Mac/IE
was so flakey that I scrapped that plan in favour of PCs, even with all
their maintenance and support problems.

A couple of years ago I worked on a large, complex Mac intranet project,
for an office of dedicated Macistas . Not intentionally, but I don't
think I even opened up a copy of Mac/IE - no-one had the slightest
interest in it any more - it had just ceased to exist as a serious
product.

A couple of months ago I had to swallow a 1/3rd project over-run, just
to get an interweb site working acceptably on Mac/IE (even though there
were no users).

Great goals maybe, unworkably broken product.

dorayme

Andy Dingley said:
[...]

Your experience and interests are different to most people who
actually used it, as I said, "for a goodly period of time". You
came, you saw, you judged and you rejected. This is is a very
different scene from a person just using it, doing their banking,
making web sites (admittedly with no natural tendencies to put in
unnecessary blank spaces) and seeing they look ok on IE even if
they have better browsers to work with initially (like Mozilla,
even iCab for some features), buying and selling on eBay,
browsing so many web pages and on and on.

The bits of it that did not work well were obviously super
important to you. Your eagle eye settled on the pimples and you
were not ardent enough to see its inherent sexiness. Fair enough.
It came as a surprise to me a little while back on alt.html
learning about some white space glitches.

Presumably you were thinking in '99 that an iMac (horribly twee
things actually) and IE were married in some way? I can think of
ways but your thoughts are not entirely clear to me. There were
other browsers, in fact, many Mac users lurved Netscape.

As for 2 years ago, well, on X, Safari had arrived and there were
many reasonable alternatives for X.

IE (Mac) 5.1.6 (at least) was not an "unworkable broken product".

Bruce Grubb

dorayme said:
[...]

I nave no idea on the logic behind this either. By 1999 there were several
browsers including one I used for a long time until Safari came along:
iCab. My favorite feature of iCab (and on it continues to have) is its
built-in validator which showed every so called 'problem' site had poor
HTML code and was invalid by the standards of the day.
As for 2 years ago, well, on X, Safari had arrived and there were
many reasonable alternatives for X.

Personally I would put up front with any HTML design that 'we go by the
standard' which would knock a lot of this nonsense in the head. In fact it
is exactly because HTML authoring tools ARE so bad (seen the way MSWord
does HMTL? SHUDDER) that MSIE has done so well so long.

If the HTML writers had banded together and stuck to the standard rather
than going after every nonstandard toy MS came up with (like BLINK) and
demanded HTML author program do the same we would not be in this mess.