Microsoft GUIDs

TravisTurman

I've got an application that runs at start up and based on the GUID
will tell me what MS Office products are installed. I've found
information that gives a descriprition of the numbering scheme for the
GUIDs in Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007. I'd
like to expand my code to search for and log other Microsoft products
(i.e. Visual Studio .Net 2003, Visual Studio 2005, etc. . .) but can't
seem to find anything that describes the numbering scheme for anything
but Office. Does anyone out there know where I might GUID descriptions
for other Microsoft products?

Phil Wilson

Are you referring to the ProductCode guids of products installed with
Windows Installer? (MSI files).

TravisTurman

I believe I am.
--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP Windows Installer]
TravisTurman said:
I've got an application that runs at start up and based on the GUID
will tell me what MS Office products are installed. I've found
information that gives a descriprition of the numbering scheme for the
GUIDs in Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007. I'd
like to expand my code to search for and log other Microsoft products
(i.e. Visual Studio .Net 2003, Visual Studio 2005, etc. . .) but can't
seem to find anything that describes the numbering scheme for anything
but Office. Does anyone out there know where I might GUID descriptions
for other Microsoft products?

Phil Wilson

If you have access to the actual MSI files, then you can use Orca from the
Windows/Platform SDK (install from Orca.msi) to open the MSI file, go to the
Property table and get the ProductCode. If you have access to systems on
which these products are installed, run a script like the one below to
enumerate installed ProductCode guids and names.

Option Explicit
Public installer, fullmsg, comp, prod, a, fso, pname, ploc, pid,contxt, sid,
psorce, pcache

Set a = fso.CreateTextFile("prodex.txt", True)

' Connect to Windows Installer object
Set installer = CreateObject("WindowsInstaller.Installer")
a.writeline ("Products")
'on error resume next
For Each prod In installer.ProductsEx("", "", 7)
pid = prod.ProductCode
contxt = prod.Context
sid=prod.usersid
pname = prod.InstallProperty("InstalledProductName")
psorce=prod.InstallProperty( "InstallSource")
ploc =prod.InstallProperty( "InstallLocation")
pcache = prod.InstallProperty("LocalPackage")
a.writeline (pid & " " & pname & " installed at <" & ploc & "> from " &
psorce & " Context " & contxt)
Next

--
Phil Wilson
[Microsoft MVP Windows Installer]

TravisTurman said:
I believe I am.
TravisTurman said:
I've got an application that runs at start up and based on the GUID
will tell me what MS Office products are installed. I've found
information that gives a descriprition of the numbering scheme for the
GUIDs in Office 2000, Office XP, Office 2003, and Office 2007. I'd
like to expand my code to search for and log other Microsoft products
(i.e. Visual Studio .Net 2003, Visual Studio 2005, etc. . .) but can't
seem to find anything that describes the numbering scheme for anything
but Office. Does anyone out there know where I might GUID descriptions
for other Microsoft products?

TravisTurman

Thanks for the info.
Phil said:
[...]