Microsoft lessening commitment to IronPython and IronRuby

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

The .NET Common Language Runtime is a vast and very useful class library,
including two complete GUI systems.

Used only by corporate code-cutter drones.

Go on, name one creative thing which was ever done in Dotnet.

Stefan Behnel

Lawrence D'Oliveiro, 10.08.2010 08:42:
Used only by corporate code-cutter drones.

Go on, name one creative thing which was ever done in Dotnet.

Erm, this is Microsoft. It's not about being creative, it's about selling
stuff to users.

Stefan

Gregory Ewing

Tim said:
I'm not sure that's really fair. The .NET Common Language Runtime is a
vast and very useful class library, including two complete GUI systems. The
thought was that IronPython and IronRuby would let people who were
comfortable in those languages tap into the CLR.

Is there any way for a non-.NET program to access a .NET library?
Or is it necessary to drink the entire bottle of .NET kool-aid?

Stefan Behnel

Steven D'Aprano, 10.08.2010 10:04:
Not just Dotnet, but Python on Dotnet.

http://www.python.org/about/success/resolver/

At the very end of that article, I found this statement:

"Resolver One is Windows only"

This sounds like a major drawback to me. It might be an acceptable "early
project priority" if the app is only targeting the desktop, but this system
additionally claims to be a "web-accessible spreadsheet". If this is
supposed to run on a server, it means that it will always suffer from the
"headless click-here-to-continue" problem.

It might not be too hard to port the app to Mono, but the rather explicit
claim above doesn't make me feel very comfortable about that upgrade path...

Stefan

Michael Torrie

Is there any way for a non-.NET program to access a .NET library?
Or is it necessary to drink the entire bottle of .NET kool-aid?

Well the only way for a non-.net program to access a .NET library is to
either embed .NET or use some kind of bridge via RPC.

So basically, the answer is "no." You pretty much have to embrace .NET
or not use it.