Microsoft .NET+ SQLServer VS Linux, PHP, mysql => Performance ???

Rosny

From the article
http://software.newsforge.com/software/05/01/27/170244.shtml?tid=132&tid=75&tid=131&tid=13

"Flickr runs on MySQL, the most popular open source database, and it has
from the beginning. Today Flickr has around a quarter of a million users and
serves around 5,000 pages per minute, generating about 100,000 database
queries. "

Now if we run above scenario in Windows 2003 Web edition and SQLServer 2000
on Windows 2003 Server.
However may server do we need? Web Server how many? SQLServer how many?

5000 pages per minutes
100,000 database query

Can .NET perform as good as Linux PHP MySQL?

Thanks,
Rosny

Lau Lei Cheong

I've got no actual performance data in hand, but as far as I remember MySQL
(I mean version 4 or below) have it's performance outrunned MSSQL and Oracle
server. This is believed mainly because if it's lack of transaction and so
on database infrastructure.

Now consider the following: Since MySQL 5 which supports transaction is
still under development(not production/stable status), if you think
transaction(i.e.: data integrity) is important, you should choose one of the
other SQL servers which supports transaction. If you simply want top notch
speed, choose MySQL.