Microsoft (R) Visual Basic Compiler has encountered a problem and

M O J O

Often when I run my aspnet 2.0 vb application, I get this exception....

"Microsoft (R) Visual Basic Compiler has encountered a problem and needs
to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Error signature:

AppName: devenv.exe AppVer: 8.0.50727.42 AppStamp:4333e699
ModName: ntdll.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.2180 ModStamp:412e8603
fDebug: 0 Offset: 00018fea

All I can do is kill the vs process.

I've created a Microsoft bug report, but they have not responded (either
they are extreeeeeeemmmmmllyyyyy sloooooowwww or else they don't care).

Any idea?

Thanks!

Mojo

Guest

does it stop on a certain line? have you debugged the code? its not too fair
to say microsoft is slow at getting back to you on a single error
report....think of how many people give them errors a day. they have to work
on the ones that happen the most frequently

M O J O

Hi iwdu15,

Thank you for answering my post.

Nope - it doesn't stop on a certain line.

It happens randomly. I can run the program perfectly, stop it and run it
again and then .... bang ... "very-unstable.net wants you to take yet
another unwanted coffee break!!" ... Think of having Michael Schumacher
going to the pit every 15 minutes!! SIGH!

It is not my program throwing the exception, it is the visual basic
compiler (probably msvb7.dll).

Well it's over a month ago I send feedback on this issue, and I've still
not heard from them. And since my vs.net crashes about 10-15 times a day
, it's driving me NUTS and Microsoft's ignorance is driving me more nuts.

:eek:)

Mojo

iwdu15 skrev:

Michael D. Ober

Next time it crashes, you will get an option to get more information after
you send the feedback. There is a hotfix for this problem and the link for
more information will send you to the technet article about it. It took me
15 minutes to find the VS hotfix line and another 15 to get the hotfix. The
VS help line appears to be for an older version of VS, but they also support
VS 2005.

Mike Ober.

Michele

from control panel remove visual studio, remove framework and re-install
all... be sure use remove, not repair

M O J O

Hi Michael,

Nope - when I send the error report, I get no options.

:eek:(

Mojo

Michael D. Ober skrev:

M O J O

Hi Michele,

No way - I cannot reinstall vs every time I get a MS bug.

It is not to much to ask, that MS fixes critical bugs - and this
certainly is critical!

Mojo

Michele skrev:

Cor Ligthert [MVP]

Mojo,

To get an idea if we have the same problems as you, because I had very
sometimes as well that error.

What is "often" in your situation: Everytime you start your Visual Studio,
Every Time you change a project, etc.?

Than what do you use: the website version or the projectversion of ASPNET?

I cannot remember me that I had this error while using the project version
of ASPNET 2.0, maybe there are some bug fixes included in that.

Cor

M O J O

Hi Cor,

Well the error had occurred to day once to twice an hour.

I do not seam to remember, that the error occurs in winform - it only
occurs in webform.

It is only when I build (run) the project.

My solution has about 5-6 projects.

I have downloaded the fix for the Edit&Continue problem, but this
doesn't help.

I'm not sure what you mean by website version / project version. I
started my website using the "create website" option.

Mojo

Cor Ligthert [MVP] skrev:

M O J O

Hi Ken,

Thank you for helping me out here.

I have already the fix installed.

:eek:(

Mojo

Ken Tucker [MVP] skrev:

Michael D. Ober

Did you by any chance have any of the VS 2005 betas on this machine? If so,
you may need to format the hard drive to clear this problem.

Mike Ober.

M O J O

Hi Michael,

Nope I did not have any beta on this machine.

Thanks anyway. :eek:)

Mojo