Microsoft to release source code for the .NET Framework 3.5

Juan T. Llibre

http://weblogs.asp.net:80/scottgu/a...rce-code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx

Microsoft will release source code for the .NET 3.5 and VS 2008 release later this year.

It'll begin by offering the source code (with source file comments included)
for the .NET Base Class Libraries (System, System.IO, System.Collections,
System.Configuration, System.Threading, System.Net, System.Security,
System.Runtime, System.Text, etc), ASP.NET (System.Web), Windows Forms
(System.Windows.Forms), ADO.NET (System.Data), XML (System.Xml), and WPF (System.Windows).

More libraries will be added in the months ahead (including WCF, Workflow, and LINQ).
The source code will be released under the Microsoft Reference License (MS-RL).

Mark Rae [MVP]

http://weblogs.asp.net:80/scottgu/a...rce-code-for-the-net-framework-libraries.aspx

Microsoft will release source code for the .NET 3.5 and VS 2008 release
later this year.

This is absolutely superb news and, IMO, reflects Microsoft's increasing
move towards actually listening to what its developer communities are
telling them that they want, rather than just giving them what (they think)
they need...

This would have been utterly unthinkable only a short while ago...

Hats off to Scott for this... What's next, I wonder...open source...?