Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03f6'

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Adam Short, Apr 20, 2005.

  1. Adam Short

    Adam Short Guest

    Can anyone help?

    I have all of a sudden started to receive this error on my site!

    I have no idea what script it is executing, why it is now failing, what is
    going on??

    All I have been able to find out is that Microsoft has had the same problem
    on their site!

    Microsoft VBScript compilation error '800a03f6'

    Expected 'End'

    ?, line 0

    Regards

    Adam

    --
    Phuture-UK +44 (01202) 518122
    Adam Short, Apr 20, 2005

  2. Search the wwwroot file system for files that have changed in the past n
    days, where n is a number not much greater than the number of days ago that
    you noticed this. Something probably changed somewhere.

    Or, show us the code of the page causing the error.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Apr 20, 2005

  3. Adam Short

    Adam Short Guest

    If I knew which script page was causing it!!!

    Ok this piece of code is common across all scripts it is included server
    side, but I don't think it would cause the error.

    <% @ Language=VBScript %>
    <% Option Explicit %>

    <%

    Response.Expires = -1

    Response.AddHeader "P3P", "CP=""CAO PSA OUR"""

    %>

    message news:...

    Adam Short, Apr 21, 2005
  4. Adam Short wrote:
    > If I knew which script page was causing it!!!

    I still can't comprehend why you don't know which page is causing this
    error. The error message was copied from the browser window wasn't it? What
    was the url in the address bar when te error occurred?

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 21, 2005
  5. Adam Short

    Adam Short Guest

    It points to a file which links a load of include files, it could be any one
    of a dozen include files.

    I can't get my head around line 0, as far as I know all line numbering start
    at 1!

    I've decided to shut the server down tonight and run a complete scan disk
    and defrag

    Adam Short, Apr 21, 2005
  6. Now we're getting somewhere. Before proceeding any further, I want to verify
    that this is a server-side error, not client-side. In my experience, "line
    0" errors are usually client-side errors. Can you confirm one way or the
    other? Server-side errors are written to the browser window and always
    indicate the name of the page that produced the error. Client-side errors
    either produce a dialog box, or an error message in the status bar on which
    you can double-click to see details. Which is it?

    In any event, your proper course of action is Debugging 101. Either :
    a. Eliminate the includes one-at-a-time until the error disappears
    b. Create a new page and add the includes in one-at-a-time until the error
    appears

    That should allow ou to identify the problematic script.

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Apr 21, 2005
  7. Adam Short

    Adam Short Guest

    Thanks for all your help Bob, it seems I had a few too many Session
    variables!!! Thing was, they were no longer required anyway! I must have
    just pushed the limit one too far.... I have now taken all the session
    variables out that are no longer used, and the problem seems to have reolved
    itself.

    Still worth bearing in mind! I have also developed an ASP 500 page that
    captures detailed information about the errors, what browsers was used,
    times etc...

    Hopefully this will help in the future.

    Regards

    Adam