Microsoft Visual Studio

Chris H

Default User said:
Yes. Microsoft has never really embraced C99, although some parts of it show
up as extensions.

Nobody embraced C99.... AFAIK there are only 4 compilers with full C99
implementations.

lawrence.jones

Ian Collins said:
I think that's based on gcc, which accepts all sorts of extensions
unless you tell it not to.

No, it's based on C++, which allows mixing statements and declarations.

Keith Thompson

No, it's based on C++, which allows mixing statements and
declarations.

I've never used Dev-C++, but my understanding is that it's an
IDE that includes MinGW, which in turn includes the gcc C and C++
compilers. gcc's C++ compiler of course permits declarations and
statements to be mixed. gcc's C compiler, in its default mode, also
permits declarations and statements to be mixed; its default mode
does not attempt to conform to C99, so this is an extension to C90.

Which if these is relevant depends on the mode in which Dev-C++
invokes gcc by default (assuming there is a meaningful default).
I would guess that you have to tell it which language you want
to use when you create a project.

Richard Bos

No, it's based on C++, which allows mixing statements and declarations.

No, it comes with both a C _and_ a C++ implementation, both of which
_are_ based on gcc(++). However, the C compiler does not accept the OP's
code (at least not with the options set as I have them), so I suspect
that you are right in so far that he uses the C++ compiler.

Richard