Microsoft Web Developer 2008 Express edition and ASP.NETconfiguration tool

Andrea Raimondi

Hello,

I'm working on an XP Pro machine, running dotNET 1.1, 2.0 and 3.5 .
I have downloaded the Club starter kit and VWD asked me to upgrade the
target framework version to 3.5 .
Since it also stated I would however be able to compile against 2.0 by
switching platform, I said oh ok.

Now, I'm trying to run the ASP.NET configuration but - although it
does run the integrated webserver - it does *NOT* connect to SQLServer
2005.

My SQLServer instance name is INFINITE-LTD\SQLEXPRESS and after
numerous attempts to run the webpage, when I eventually made it the
only message I get is the following: "An error was encountered. Please
return to the previous page and try again." .

I've tried to look in this group for that error but I didn't seem to
find anything helpful - or if there was something it definitely
slipped through my eyes cause I've been looking closely not just
skimming but reading.

Since I'm all new to this ASP.NET 2.0 stuff I'd love if someone would
point me in the correct direction in order to solve the problem.

Thank you for your time reading this,

Andrew

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

First, make sure you are able to connect with SQL Server Express. In
general, I would recommend a protocol other than shared memory and turning
on the SQL Browser service, which is off by default. Then try again.

If that does not work:
Set up the database (using the SQL script or the aspnet_regsql utility) and
the connection string first, in the config file, and then try again. You can
google Membership, Personalization, etc. and web.config to see examples.
That is where the app looks to hook up to the database.

Since you have SQL Express in what looks like a default setup, it is
probably the first suggestion that will work.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Now, I'm trying to run the ASP.NET configuration but - although it does
!> run the integrated webserver - it does *NOT* connect to SQLServer 2005

Are you using a trusted connection or a specific database user account ?

If you use the VS test webserver, it will run as the machine's administrator account
and that will require for that account to have access to SQL Server 2005.

If you use a specific database user, that user needs a login to SQL Server 2005.

Andrea Raimondi

Hello again,

I thought I would notify about my progresses(or better, lack of :p).

I read through both replies which were interesting, I enabled
SQLBrowser service and added a TCP/IP protocol.
This is my connection string so far:
Data Source=LUCALAPTOP\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=BlogThis;Integrated
Security=True

I should probably be using LOCALHOST instead of LUCALAPTOP
\SQLEXPRESS ?

I also followed the advice of googling fot membership examples, so
this is my membership section below system.web node:

<membership defaultProvider="SqlProvider" userIsOnlineTimeWindow="15">
<providers>
<clear />
<add
name="SqlProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.SqlMembershipProvider"
connectionStringName="BlogThisConnectionString"
applicationName="BlogThis"
enablePasswordRetrieval="true"
enablePasswordReset="true"
requiresQuestionAndAnswer="true"
requiresUniqueEmail="true"
passwordFormat="Hashed" />
</providers>
</membership>

I noticed, however, that in the example an "authorization" node is
placed just before the membership one,
maybe I should add that as well? The following URL, however, doesn't
seem to hint at that as important:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6e9y4s5t.aspx
This is where I adapted my own membership node from.

I'm unsure about Juan advice actually, cause I am using a default
setup with an administrative user account, so I
really wonder if there's anything I am missing.

As you may have understood by my prologue, it doesn't however work,
so... what am I doing wrong?

Thank you for your time helping me,

Andrew

Andrea Raimondi

Oh and as a side note to all this, I'm unable to find this "asp_regsql.exe"
tool which is apparently
required to make everything work.

Any hints?

I can't find the 3.5 framework directory on the computer either!

Andrew

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I'm unable to find this "asp_regsql.exe" tool

That should be aspnet_regsql.exe, not asp_regsql.exe.
It should be in the WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 directory.

re:
!> I can't find the 3.5 framework directory on the computer either!

It should be at WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
If it's not there, it's not installed.

Andrea Raimondi

Juan T. Llibre said:
That should be aspnet_regsql.exe, not asp_regsql.exe.
It should be in the WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 directory.

Found and run.
It should be at WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v3.5
If it's not there, it's not installed.

It's there! Phew! ^_^

Anyway, running it and then running the ASP.NET configuration tool doesn't
seem to do any
good whatsoever. I tried on a web project with memberships setup in
web.config following the
example I found online.

On the desktop computer, however, where nothing was added to the webconfig,
now the configuration
tool starts, so... I shall try doing the same(i.e. undoing the web.config
changes) on the laptop as well to see if
situation improves.

If I manage to start it, then I'll switch to aspnet.security group for
further details on login components,
where I assume it's more appropriate to ask for informations.

Thank you in advance for your time!

Andrew

Andrea Raimondi

Andrea Raimondi said:
I shall try doing the same(i.e. undoing the web.config changes) on the
laptop as well to see if
situation improves.

Unfortunately, it does not!

I've got no clue why it doesn't. I undid the changes and all, it's
"membership free" now and since
membership is activated by default, it should modify the web.config file
appropriately by itself.

I also noticed that the web.config on the desktop doesn't seem to contain a
membership node as
otherwise stated by the msdn documentation file URLed in a previous post.

Any clues?

Andrew