microsoft.web.ui.webcontrolls.dll

Larry

Hey guys,

I installed the microsoft web controls successfully and followed the read me
steps to complete the final steps.

I created the bin directory, but when i went to look for the
microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols.dll file, it was nowhere on my system to be
found. Any ideas?

Larry

Juno

Hi,

Most of MS's assemblies are installed in GAC. So you can use these
assemblies anywhere in your machine.

Larry

What is GAC?

--
Juno
MCSD.NET, MCDBA, MCSE

read

Juno

Hi,

GAC is Global Assembly Cache.
A machine-wide code cache that stores assemblies specifically installed to
be shared by many applications on the computer. Applications deployed in the
global assembly cache must have a strong name.

Larry

I guess my question is, if Web Controls requires this file, why doesn't it
install it?

Larry

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

the assembly is not installed in the gac. the build process should have put
the dll in the directory the build.bat ran by default. if it isn't there,
you need check that the process has permissions to write to the directory,
or you have used the correct parameters.

Larry

I went back and ran the build.bat file from a command prompt. It gives the
following error when run:

'csc.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable
program or batch file.

the csc.exe file is located in the
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322 directory. Do I need to add
some typ eof mapping or copy the csc.exe file elsewhere?

Larry
Alvin Bruney said:
the assembly is not installed in the gac. the build process should have put
the dll in the directory the build.bat ran by default. if it isn't there,
you need check that the process has permissions to write to the directory,
or you have used the correct parameters.

--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney
Larry said:
I guess my question is, if Web Controls requires this file, why doesn't it
install it?

Larry
in
the system

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

the easiest way is to navigate to the directory and run the csc with a fully
qualified path to the target
csc c:\blah\ blah\ web controls it will put the assembly in the directory
csc is run from and you can copy it across or you can always add the path of
the csc to your environment variable
--
Regards,
Alvin Bruney

[...]