Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls doesnot work when upladed to web hosting server

dave

We have an application that works perfectly in-house (tested on 3

different servers). It uses Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll for menubars

and toolbars.

Problem Description:

We uploaded the application to our webhost and an error came up:

Parser Error Message: Could not load type

Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.Design.CssCollectionEditor from assembly

mscorlib, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089.

Does anyone have any idea why it is trying to load that type from mscorlib

rather than Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls? I have a suspicion that it might

be due to CssCollectionEditor being in another namespace inside

Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.

Here is the code that causes the error.

Line 1: <%@ Control Language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false"

Codebehind="MenuBar.ascx.cs" Inherits="xBondManager3.MenuBar"

TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"%>

Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="incl"

Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"

Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,

PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

Line 3: <incl:Toolbar

Line 4: runat= "server"

Line 5: BackColor = "#8caae7"

Mark Fitzpatrick

This namespace is not a namespace that is part of the core library. It is
part of what is known as the IE Web Controls
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/webcontrols/webcontrols_entry.asp). MS
released these controls later on to address some common needs of ASP.Net 1.x
in lieu of developers having to buy third-party components to do these
common tasks.You need to make sure that the dll is being deployed in the bin
diretory of your web ap and that you also add the correct webcontrol scripts
to the root of the application, similar to the aspnet_client scripts but
custom for the webcontrols. If you are having trouble once deployed there's
a good chance that it's registered in the GAC.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

dave

Thnx Mark
But unfortunatelly it still doesnot work..
I ensured tht dll is under bin folder and also copied the aspnet_client and
webctrl_client folder to root of web server...
but still no luck..
In ref property of Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols , the 'Local copy' is set to
true just to prevent from GAC..but same error..
still couldnt figure out the problem..
thnx
dave

Mark Fitzpatrick

Another thing to check is to make sure that the directory is really marked
as an application in IIS. It could be that the applicatoin is defined a
directory up the tree so the webcontrols dll could be in the wrong bin. It's
a probably a stupid idea, but sometimes this happens.

Hope this helps,
Mark Fitzpatrick
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage