Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls doesnot work when upladed to web hosting server

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by dave, Jan 19, 2006.

  1. dave

    dave Guest

    We have an application that works perfectly in-house (tested on 3

    different servers). It uses Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll for menubars

    and toolbars.

    Problem Description:

    We uploaded the application to our webhost and an error came up:

    Parser Error Message: Could not load type

    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.Design.CssCollectionEditor from assembly

    mscorlib, Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral,

    PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089.

    Does anyone have any idea why it is trying to load that type from mscorlib

    rather than Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls? I have a suspicion that it might

    be due to CssCollectionEditor being in another namespace inside

    Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.

    Here is the code that causes the error.

    Line 1: <%@ Control Language="c#" AutoEventWireup="false"

    Codebehind="MenuBar.ascx.cs" Inherits="xBondManager3.MenuBar"

    TargetSchema="http://schemas.microsoft.com/intellisense/ie5"%>

    Line 2: <%@ Register TagPrefix="incl"

    Namespace="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls"

    Assembly="Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls, Version=1.0.2.226, Culture=neutral,

    PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" %>

    Line 3: <incl:Toolbar

    Line 4: runat= "server"

    Line 5: BackColor = "#8caae7"

    dave, Jan 19, 2006

  2. This namespace is not a namespace that is part of the core library. It is
    part of what is known as the IE Web Controls
    (http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/webcontrols/webcontrols_entry.asp). MS
    released these controls later on to address some common needs of ASP.Net 1.x
    in lieu of developers having to buy third-party components to do these
    common tasks.You need to make sure that the dll is being deployed in the bin
    diretory of your web ap and that you also add the correct webcontrol scripts
    to the root of the application, similar to the aspnet_client scripts but
    custom for the webcontrols. If you are having trouble once deployed there's
    a good chance that it's registered in the GAC.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jan 19, 2006

  3. dave

    dave Guest

    Thnx Mark
    But unfortunatelly it still doesnot work..
    I ensured tht dll is under bin folder and also copied the aspnet_client and
    webctrl_client folder to root of web server...
    but still no luck..
    In ref property of Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols , the 'Local copy' is set to
    true just to prevent from GAC..but same error..
    still couldnt figure out the problem..
    thnx
    dave

    dave, Jan 19, 2006
  4. Another thing to check is to make sure that the directory is really marked
    as an application in IIS. It could be that the applicatoin is defined a
    directory up the tree so the webcontrols dll could be in the wrong bin. It's
    a probably a stupid idea, but sometimes this happens.

    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick
    Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Jan 19, 2006