Microsoft WebControls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Remco Bosman, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Remco Bosman

    Remco Bosman Guest

    Hello all,

    I'm having a problem with the WebControls MS supplies us with. I get them to
    compile and all that's not a problem. But why did they supplie the source
    code ??? to be able to modify the code ?? if so why haven't they supplied us
    with a project file ???

    So I tried getting the source in Visual Studio, got to the point were it
    will build, but unfortunately I'm experiencing problems with the resource
    files. I haven't used resource files myself so I have experience zero with
    it, although I understand the principle. Two propblems occur:
    1. when adding the controls to the toolbox it doesn't show the correct
    icons, it shows the defaults.
    2. when adding a control to the webpage it gives me an error indicating
    errors in the resource file

    What I find strange is that:
    1. the .bmp files for the icons have the class names so that should work
    (but it doesn't)
    2. they supplied .resx and .resource files, I guess that were my problem
    starts.

    Should I include the .resx or the .resource files. Both won't work. And to
    what type should i set the files "embedded resource" would be obvious. I
    tried a lot of things but I think the resource files are not compiling (into
    the .dll I quess).

    So anybody any experience with this or with the WebControls ??

    Thanx already

    Remco
    Remco Bosman, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Remco Bosman

    Marco Roello Guest

    Remco,
    I only tell you that in my opinion microsoft webcontrols like Treeview,
    Tabstrip... are designed for very simple purposes. I've tried to use them,
    but I noticed that they don't ineriths from System.Web.UI.Webcontrols like
    textbox, button, hyperlinkbutton, datagrid... , and I think that they will
    change in the future. I've used in Visual Studio .NEt IDE, but I've found
    many problems at design time.

    Marco Roello, Jul 11, 2003