Microsoft.XMLHTTP problem

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Botan Guner, Jun 28, 2005.

  1. Botan Guner

    Botan Guner Guest

    Hi all,

    Here is the problem, i'm using Microsoft.XMLHTTP for ie and
    XMLHttpRequest for mozilla, on my local server which is win2000 server
    i've no problem with that but when i uploaded the file to the web
    server of our company which is redhat 9 i still have no problem with
    mozilla but the ie gives an error like this,

    System error: -1072896658

    I have no clue what that means but as i sad the same page work fine on
    my local server. On our rh9 server the site works over https, is
    Microsoft.XMLHTTP does any security issues about https?

    And my code is;
    <scrip...
    var xmlhttp=false;
    function getData(u,m,n) {
    if (window.ActiveXObject)
    {
    xmlhttp=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
    }
    else if(window.XMLHttpRequest)
    {
    xmlhttp=new XMLHttpRequest();
    }
    xmlhttp.open("GET", u, true);
    xmlhttp.onreadystatechange=function() {
    do
    {
    document.getElementById(n).innerHTML=m;
    }
    while(xmlhttp.readyState==200)
    if (xmlhttp.readyState==4) {
    document.getElementById(n).innerHTML=xmlhttp.responseText;
    xmlhttp.send(null)
    }
    </...>

    Thanks for helping,
    Botan Guner, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Botan Guner wrote:

    > Here is the problem, i'm using Microsoft.XMLHTTP for ie and
    > XMLHttpRequest for mozilla, on my local server which is win2000 server
    > i've no problem with that but when i uploaded the file to the web
    > server of our company which is redhat 9 i still have no problem with
    > mozilla but the ie gives an error like this,
    >
    > System error: -1072896658

    For which line/statement of your code does it give that error?

    > xmlhttp.onreadystatechange=function() {
    > do
    > {
    > document.getElementById(n).innerHTML=m;
    > }
    > while(xmlhttp.readyState==200)

    readyState takes values of 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 so I don't know why you check
    for the value 200. And a blocking while loop in an event handler is not
    a good idea as that way other events could not be processed. But in your
    case the loop will not block as the condition readyState == 200 is never
    true so while you should remove that loop that is not likely solving the
    error problem you have.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Botan Guner

    Botan Guner Guest

    It gives at line;

    document.getElementById(n).innerHTML=xmlhttp.responseText;

    and if i set the readyState anything other then 200 it stops responding
    Botan Guner, Jun 28, 2005
  4. Botan Guner wrote:

    > It gives at line;
    >
    > document.getElementById(n).innerHTML=xmlhttp.responseText;
    >
    > and if i set the readyState anything other then 200 it stops responding

    You are setting readyState? Not sure what that is supposed to be good for.
    As for that line, how does responseText look when the error occurs?

    Also consider checking
    xmlhttp.status
    and
    xmlhttp.statusText
    perhaps something goes wrong with the HTTPS access and the HTTP status
    message tells what goes wrong.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jun 28, 2005
  5. Botan Guner

    Botan Guner Guest

    I thing HTTPS access is my main problem because this script works good
    on my local server and remote server (with mozilla) the only problem is
    browsing the page with internet explorer. Mozilla outputs nothing. I
    wish it generates an error nothing can be understood from the error
    that internet explorer gives.
    Botan Guner, Jun 28, 2005
  6. Botan Guner wrote:

    > I thing HTTPS access is my main problem because this script works good
    > on my local server and remote server (with mozilla) the only problem is
    > browsing the page with internet explorer. Mozilla outputs nothing. I
    > wish it generates an error nothing can be understood from the error
    > that internet explorer gives.

    Even over HTTPS the response has
    status
    statusText
    and you could check them to find out more as to what goes wrong.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jun 28, 2005
  7. Botan Guner

    Botan Guner Guest

    i have checked ;
    xmlhttp.status=200
    xmlhttp.statusText=OK
    wrote and error dialog opened.
    Botan Guner, Jun 28, 2005
  8. Botan Guner wrote:

    > i have checked ;
    > xmlhttp.status=200
    > xmlhttp.statusText=OK

    The HTTP(S) works fine then,

    > wrote and error dialog opened.

    we would need to look then into the responseText and the assignment.
    Do you get that error too when you do not assign to innerHTML but
    instead simply
    alert(xmlhttp.responseText)
    ?

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
    Martin Honnen, Jun 28, 2005
  9. Botan Guner

    Botan Guner Guest

    when i wrote,

    alert(xmlhttp.responseText);

    before the,
    documen....getElemen...innerHTML=xmlhttp.responseText;

    it gives an empty alert so responseText is empty but at the same time
    when i request the same page from my local server it alerts the code
    returned from the requested page.
    Botan Guner, Jun 28, 2005
  10. Botan Guner

    VK Guest

    You may want to start with this very generic script (the actual call
    for getData is up to you). If it works, then the problem with your
    script, not with Hedhat.

    <script>
    var XDataReader = null;

    function getData(u,m,n) {
    if (window.ActiveXObject) {
    XDataReader = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
    }
    else if (window.XMLHttpRequest) {
    XDataReader = new XMLHttpRequest();
    }
    else {
    /*NOP*/
    }
    if (XDataReader != null) {
    XDataReader.open("GET", u, true);
    XDataReader.onreadystatechange = checkState;
    XDataReader.send(null);

    function checkState() {
    if (XDataReader.readyState == 4) {
    if ((XDataReader.status == 200)||(XDataReader.status == 0)) {
    // Status 0 is given in IE if you load a file
    // from your local file system. If you don't
    // need to debug it there, you may remove it
    XDataReader.onreadystatechange = foo;
    // Lock the event handler for Opera,
    // which gives sometimes double bubble
    // for the same event
    alert(XDataReader.responseText);

    function foo() {
    /*NOP*/
    }
    </script>
    VK, Jun 29, 2005
  11. VK wrote:
    > You may want to start with this very generic script ...

    <snip>
    > <script>
    > var XDataReader = null;
    >
    > function getData(u,m,n) {
    > if (window.ActiveXObject) {
    > XDataReader = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP");
    > }
    > else if (window.XMLHttpRequest) {
    > XDataReader = new XMLHttpRequest();
    > }
    > else {
    > /*NOP*/
    > }
    > if (XDataReader != null) {
    > XDataReader.open("GET", u, true);
    > XDataReader.onreadystatechange = checkState;
    > XDataReader.send(null);

    <snip>

    Using a single global variable to store a reference to the
    XMLHttpRequest object while making asynchronous requests is a recipe for
    disaster.

    Richard.
    Richard Cornford, Jun 29, 2005
  12. Botan Guner

    Jeff Guest

    Use the MS Script Editor included free with MS Office 2002 and above,
    for debugging Internet Explorer (IE).

    This subject is of great interest to many JS developers, as there is no
    obvious, low cost way to do sophisticated debugging in
    IE6 other than to use the debugger described below, which is horribly
    documented otherwise. I feel debugging is an important aspect of
    projecting the useability of the language and needs to be made more
    clear for new users.

    Jeff Papineau

    <FAQENTRY>

    This is a page that describes how to install and use the MS Script
    Editor to debug Javascript in Internet Explorer ( IE ). It has a
    powerful debugger built into it that works really well for developers
    supporting IE5+. This debugger/editor included with most versions of
    Microsoft Office.

    http://www.mandala.com/javascript/debug_javascript.html

    ..NET programmers may have better tools (VStudio) but this comes in
    really handy for anyone developing with JSP and PHP and other dynamic
    scripting languages which embed javascript, as well as any HTML page
    using Javascript in Internet Explorer that needs a (almost) free
    debugging environment.

    </FAQENTRY>
    Jeff, Jul 2, 2005
  13. Botan Guner

    Botan Guner Guest

    Thanks everybody, for your help and concern.
    Botan Guner, Jul 6, 2005