Microsoft XP SP3 fixpack released.

Discussion in 'Java' started by Roedy Green, Apr 29, 2008.

  1. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Apr 29, 2008

  2. Roedy Green

    BTDTGTTS Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,339288523,00.htm?ocid=nl_d_29042008_lat_l7

    > MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
    > I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
    > install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
    > patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.

    Given Microsofts history with service packs, I think I'll pass on this
    advice until other people have tried it in the wild.

    Regards
    BTDTGTTS, Apr 29, 2008

  3. Roedy Green

    BTDTGTTS Guest

    Lew wrote:

    > BTDTGTTS wrote:
    >> Roedy Green wrote:

    http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,339288523,00.htm?ocid=nl_d_29042008_lat_l7
    >>> MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
    >>> I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
    >>> install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
    >>> patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.

    >> Given Microsofts history with service packs, I think I'll pass on this
    >> advice until other people have tried it in the wild.

    > And this is a Java matter because ...?

    My excuse is that I wasn't in the group that I thought I was when I
    hit "Send". Apologies
    BTDTGTTS, Apr 29, 2008
  4. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:07:39 -0400, Lew <> wrote,

    >And this is a Java matter because ...?

    Because most of the people here run their Java under Windows. You
    want all patches on your OS to make Java run smoothly.
    --

    Roedy Green Canadian Mind Products
    The Java Glossary
    Roedy Green, Apr 29, 2008
  5. Roedy Green wrote:
    > http://www.cnet.com.au/desktops/pcs/0,239029439,339288523,00.htm?ocid=nl_d_29042008_lat_l7
    >
    > MS has just released an omnibus update for Windows XP called SP3.
    > I don't think it gets automatically applied. You must download and
    > install it. Probably a good idea to apply this to make sure all
    > patches are up to date on any XP machines in your control.

    Didn't happen, but that's Microsoft.

    "MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch"
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/
    Christian Williamson, Apr 30, 2008
  6. Roedy Green

    Roedy Green Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:12:23 GMT, Christian Williamson
    said :

    >"MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch"
    >http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/

    All it was supposed to be was a combined set up updates that have
    already been released. You would think code problems would have
    surfaced long ago.

    It would make reinstalling faster since you would not need to apply
    all those updates individually.

    Roedy Green, Apr 30, 2008
  7. Roedy Green

    Wojtek Guest

    Roedy Green wrote :
    > On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 10:12:23 GMT, Christian Williamson
    > said :
    >
    >> "MS pulls plugs on XP SP3 mass launch"
    >> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/04/30/xp_sp3_delayed/

    > All it was supposed to be was a combined set up updates that have
    > already been released. You would think code problems would have
    > surfaced long ago.

    I think they are trying to sneak in other stuff other than just a roll
    up of patches.

    See http://www.autopatcher.com

    --
    Wojtek :)
    Wojtek, Apr 30, 2008
  8. Roedy Green

    Arne Vajhøj Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:
    > On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 08:07:39 -0400, Lew <> wrote,
    >> And this is a Java matter because ...?

    > Because most of the people here run their Java under Windows. You
    > want all patches on your OS to make Java run smoothly.

    Do you know about any specific change in SP3 that will help Java
    programs ?

    Arne
    Arne Vajhøj, May 3, 2008