Microsoft's JavaScript doc's newfangled problem

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Xah Lee, Dec 24, 2005.

  1. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    sometimes in the last few months, apparently Microsoft made changes to
    their JavaScript documentation website:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/1e9b3876-3d38-4fd8-8596-1bbfe2330aa9.asp

    so that, one has to goddamn press the "expand" button to view the
    documentation, for every goddamn page.

    What the **** is going on?

    And, good url before the change are now broken (giving HTTP error 404).
    Many of the newfangled buttons such as "Copy Code" doesn't goddamn work
    in Safari, FireFox, iCab, Mac IE.

    And, in any of these browsers, the code examples becomes single
    congested block without any line breaks. e.g.

    «Circle.prototype.pi = Math.PI; function ACirclesArea () { return
    this.pi * this.r * this.r; // The formula for the area of a circle is
    r<SUP>2</SUP>. } Circle.prototype.area = ACirclesArea; // The function
    that calculates the area of a circle is now a method of the Circle
    Prototype object. var a = ACircle.area(); // This is how you would
    invoke the area function on a Circle object.»

    WHAT THE **** is going on?

    Answer: Motherfucking incompetence has come alive.

    -------------
    For a collection of essays on OpenSource documentation problems, see
    bottom of:
    http://xahlee.org/perl-python/python.html

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    Xah Lee, Dec 24, 2005

  2. Xah Lee

    VK Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > sometimes in the last few months, apparently Microsoft made changes to
    > their JavaScript documentation website:

    Their *JScript* documentation website - here's the keyword.

    See:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/a4a1e9736dc8fa11/9f41a436cf9d8f44>

    After the official breakup with IE for Mac OS:
    <http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/e85ccf55553d8da2/5dddd18b0949b792#5dddd18b0949b792>

    JScript site is now only and exclusively for Internet Explorer 5.5 and
    higher under Windows 98 SE and higher.

    Any other visitors are out of support and interest of Microsoft - at
    least in JScript domain. It is bad and rude, but it is and I'm affraid
    it will be.

    VK, Dec 24, 2005

  3. Xah Lee

    Zif Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > sometimes in the last few months, apparently Microsoft made changes to
    > their JavaScript documentation website:
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...html/1e9b3876-3d38-4fd8-8596-1bbfe2330aa9.asp
    >
    > so that, one has to goddamn press the "expand" button to view the
    > documentation, for every goddamn page.
    >
    > What the **** is going on?

    They are still using browser sniffing to determine what CSS to send to
    the browser (IE 5.2 gets 'ie4.css', Safari gets 'n6.css'. Despite
    that, they deliver js files with hundreds (maybe thousands) of lines
    of code to browsers that can't execute them. Why bother sniffing?

    They are still using '<!-- -->' inside their style and script elements
    - ya gotta wonder who would visit a page about browser scripting using
    a browser that doesn't know what a script element is (and is probably
    more than 10 years old).

    In a file called 'whidbey/script.js' they still use document.all
    without any fall back to getElementById. Isn't whidbey the code name
    for Visual Studio .NET 2005? Does it use document.all exclusively?

    The frame pages generate lots of errors, including really basic things
    like no doctype and unclosed tags in documents that pretend to be XML.

    [...]

    > WHAT THE **** is going on?
    >
    > Answer: Motherfucking incompetence has come alive.

    Yes. Their documentation for the Office XML standard runs to 1,900
    pages. The documentation of their streaming media server and media
    player interfaces and formats was deemed utterly useless after being
    given 18 months to deliver same.

    What did you expect?

    [...]

    --
    Zif

    Zif, Dec 24, 2005
  4. Xah Lee

    BR Guest

    Zif wrote:

    > In a file called 'whidbey/script.js' they still use document.all
    > without any fall back to getElementById. Isn't whidbey the code name
    > for Visual Studio .NET 2005?  Does it use document.all exclusively?

    I'm wondering if they meant for that documentation to be read in VS 2005?

    BR, Dec 24, 2005
  5. Xah Lee

    Xah Lee Guest

    > What did you expect?

    There are two interpretations to this Microsoft's JavaScript doc
    problem:

    1. They didn't do it intentionally.

    2. They did it intentionally.

    If (1), then it would be a fucking incompetence of inordinate order. If
    (2), they would be assholes, even though they have the right to do so.

    On the other hand, in terms of documentation quality, technological
    excellence, responsibility in software, Microsoft in the 21st century
    is the holder of human progress when compared to the motherfucking Open
    Sourcers lying thru their teeth fuckheads.

    Xah

    ∑ http://xahlee.org/

    --------------------------------------

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/scri...

    Xah Lee, Dec 27, 2005
  6. Xah Lee

    VK Guest

    Xah Lee wrote:
    > > What did you expect?

    > There are two interpretations to this Microsoft's JavaScript doc
    > problem:
    >
    > 1. They didn't do it intentionally.
    >
    > 2. They did it intentionally.
    >
    > If (1), then it would be a fucking incompetence of inordinate order. If
    > (2), they would be assholes, even though they have the right to do so.
    >
    > On the other hand, in terms of documentation quality, technological
    > excellence, responsibility in software, Microsoft in the 21st century
    > is the holder of human progress when compared to the motherfucking Open
    > Sourcers lying thru their teeth fuckheads.

    Professional job - you've covered in your post all trolling issues and
    pressed all spots on *both* sides. :) Now it's just the time to
    collect the harvest in 5 (6?) newsgroups you've crossposting.

    Say *this* the seed did not grow.

    VK, Dec 27, 2005
  7. Xah Lee

    Guest

    In comp.lang.perl.misc Xah Lee <> wrote:
    > If (1), then it would be a fucking incompetence of inordinate order. If

    Have you ever thought that your cross-postings are "incompetence
    of inordinate order"?

    Of course not since you are a troll.

    Axel

    , Dec 28, 2005
  8. W3C DOM Level 3 Events (was: Xah's Edu Corner: Tech Geekers and their Style)

    Michael Winter wrote:

    > On 30/12/2005 16:45, Xah Lee wrote:
    >
    > [Follow-ups trimmed to c.i.w.a.stylesheets]

    Ignored since I am referring to something that is on topic here.

    > The DOM Level 3 Events module has been a Working Group Note since
    > November 2003. This probably marks the end of its development.

    I hope not, and I do not think so, taking both the provision

    | This is a draft document and may be updated, replaced or
    | obsoleted by other documents at any time.

    and the long development cycle of e.g. CSS3 modules into account
    (I wonder why such basic and already implemented things need to
    take that long to be specified :-()

    For example, I would like to see more keyboard events than just
    `keydown' and `keyup' to be covered by a Web standard specifying
    with DOM events.

    PointedEars

    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Dec 30, 2005
  9. Re: W3C DOM Level 3 Events

    On 30/12/2005 18:46, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

    > Michael Winter wrote:

    [snip]

    >> The DOM Level 3 Events module has been a Working Group Note since
    >> November 2003. This probably marks the end of its development.

    > I hope not, and I do not think so, taking both the provision
    >
    > | This is a draft document and may be updated, replaced or
    > | obsoleted by other documents at any time.
    >
    > and the long development cycle [...]

    Yes, I realise this, but it's process status is significant:

    Working Group Note
    A Working Group Note is published by a chartered Working
    Group to indicate that work has ended on a particular topic.
    A Working Group MAY publish a Working Group Note with or
    without its prior publication as a Working Draft.

    -- 7.1.3 Maturity Levels When Ending Work on a Technical
    Report, W3C Technical Report Development Process[1]

    Furthermore:

    Work on a technical report MAY cease at any time. When a
    Working Group completes its work on a technical report, it
    publishes it either as a Recommendation or a Working Group
    Note. For example, a Working Group might publish several
    Working Drafts of a requirements document, and then indicate
    that it no longer plans to work on the requirements document by
    publishing a Working Group Note.

    Work MAY also cease because W3C determines that it cannot
    productively carry the work any further. For instance, the
    Director might close a Working Group, the participants might
    lose interest in a technical report, or the ideas might be
    subsumed by another technical report. If W3C decides to
    discontinue work on a technical report before completion, the
    technical report SHOULD be published as a Working Group Note.

    Possible next steps:

    - End state: A technical report MAY remain a Working Group
    Note indefinitely
    - Otherwise: A Working Group MAY resume work on the technical
    report as a Working Draft

    -- 7.5 Ending Work on a Technical Report, W3C
    Technical Report Development Process[2]

    The Working Draft Note status is an end to the development life-cycle.
    It's not necessarily permanent, but if they're having difficulty moving
    in the direction they'd like to go (virtual keys aren't
    backwards-compatible, after all), they might have decided to drop it and
    work on other modules that will have more chance of immediate success.

    I searched the mailing list archives a while ago to see if the reasons
    behind the decision were made public, but I didn't find anything and I'm
    not so concerned so that I'm moved to inquire.

    Mike

    [1] <http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#q75>
    [2] <http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#tr-end>

    --