MIDI question

Guest

I'm just learning about how to use the MIDI stuff in
Java and right off have hit a brick wall...

How do I eliminate the annoying "click" sound if I
sound a note on a channel then immediately sound the
same note at a different velocity.

Basically I'm putting the following messages in a
Sequence:

Note on - channel n, pitch 1, vel 1, t1
Note off - channel n, pitch 1, t2
Note on - channel n, pitch 1, vel 2, t2
Note off - channel n, pitch 1, t3

And there is an audible click-like noise at the
transition time "t2".

Is there some approach to avoid this? If it wasn't
for the velocity change I could just make the note
longer, but that won't work with a velocity change.
The effect varies with the instrument, it's worse
for organ-like instruments and inaudible for
percussion, which sort of makes sense I guess.

Oh, BTW, this is in JDK1.3.

--arne

DISCLAIMER: These opinions and statements are those of the author and
do not represent any views or positions of the Hewlett-Packard Co.