Midlet app size and web services - most efficient way of connecting?!?

davout

I'm about to start a project to build a (fat client) Java midlet for a
mobile phone smart device. The midlet has to call a number of different
server side web services.

For a Java Swing client application I'd normally pass the web service WSDL
thru a utility to generate a set of client side classes that assume
responsbilty for generating the web service XML calls. However, this
approach does generate a lot of java client side code, and I'm wondering
whether these smart devices have the capacity to handle these volume of Java
code.

Should I think about a different approach - like using a command procesor
pattern web service? This would require the midlet to build a XML message
that included the real business tier service/method names and its
parameters. The command pattern web service at its end would decypher this
XML structure and pass on the instruction to the required business tier.

Does anybody have any thoughts on how best to proceed?