    contains many graphics in it, and it is over 100k. It is not mentioned
    on Motorola or Samsung phones.

    John

    John, Dec 22, 2004

  2. John

    Freeman Guest

    John wrote:
    > Is there any file size limit on the j2me midlet jar size? It seems that
    > some Nokia phones have 100k jar size limit. I have made a program which
    > contains many graphics in it, and it is over 100k. It is not mentioned
    > on Motorola or Samsung phones.
    >
    > John

    There is no jar size limitation on Motorola phones. You can put a large
    size midlet to it, as long as the java storage is not full. However, you
    need to know:

    1. Some phones have bug or limitation on download wap gateway. If it is
    over 100k, it may need to swap SAR and Range download method. If it is
    too slow or fail to download, you can only use cable to install the jar.

    2. When download, the actual size require may larger than the jar file
    size. This is due to decompress of jar into class and resource files for
    storage.

    Try to keep it small for mobile phone device.

    Freeman
    www.mobilefunland.com

    Freeman, Dec 22, 2004

  3. John

    cyberco Guest

    Limitations are set by both the phone manufacturer and the network
    operator. So you'll have to figure out what you're targeting... I
    realize how annoying this can be :) A rule of thumb would be to keep
    jars below 100Kb. (NTT Docomo used to have a limit of 30Kb, btw. You
    would be amazed what types of games people can create within 30Kb. All
    of the NAMCO games for instance). One trick you could pull is download
    the media files (images, sound) after the MIDlet is installed and store
    them on the scratchpad.

    cyberco, Dec 23, 2004
  4. John wrote:
    > Is there any file size limit on the j2me midlet jar size?

    Not a consistent one, no. Some phones could only handle up to 64k.
    Recently (about a year ago) Sprint upped their size limitation from 64k
    to 100k. My Motorola V400 can handle larger-than-100k JARs when
    installed via datacable but now downloading OTA.

    > It seems that
    > some Nokia phones have 100k jar size limit. I have made a program which
    > contains many graphics in it, and it is over 100k. It is not mentioned
    > on Motorola or Samsung phones.

    If you're using graphics that *don't* require transparency then you'll
    be better served to convert them to JPG and use that (assuming you're
    now using PNGs which are huge).

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit my webpage: <http://mcpierce.multiply.com>