(MIDP/7250) Sockets? Filesystem? Settings?

Richard Szalay

Hi guys,

I've been brainstorming a few ideas for applications (for personal
use) since I got my 7250, but each of them are being shot down.

I wanted to write an application that could IR a file (ring-tone for
example) to another phone. Shotdown -> Can't access the file system.

I wanted to write an application that I could talk on MSN over GPRS.
Shotdown -> No socket:// support (due to system variable setting -
cannot change).

I have managed to write a more configurable ticker (it moves fast into
position, stops, then moves off again). It works, but a) I can't use
the same font it uses without messing around (Ticker uses system
classes to setup the text), and b) I can't access the system's current
theme colour (for its background) because the Ticker class uses a
system class to read the setting.

Other than games... is there anything that can be written (thats not
completely self-reliant).

I was looking forward to integrating alot of functionality into the
operating system. 'Tis very disappointing.

If I am wrong on any of the above topics, please let me know.
(Hopefully, I'm wrong on all three - and all is possible - but I doubt
it).

Thanks in advance,

Richard