MIDP & non-wireless PDA & PC

Branko Kaucic

Hi all...

I got a PDA (Dell Axim X30 Low that has no wireless
connection) that is connected to PC only with a
cable.
Is there a way how can I connect to PC from that PDA?
More specific, I would like to transfer files from
PC to PDA and records from PDA's database back to PC.
Anyone can help??

Rhino

Branko Kaucic said:
Hi all...

I got a PDA (Dell Axim X30 Low that has no wireless
connection) that is connected to PC only with a
cable.
Is there a way how can I connect to PC from that PDA?

As you probably already know, your cable already connects the PC to the PDA.
You use it to do your Hotsyncs (or whatever this process is called on your
Dell) and that transfers applications and data both ways between the PC and
the PDA.
More specific, I would like to transfer files from
PC to PDA and records from PDA's database back to PC.

I assume that you are trying to develop Java (J2ME) applications for your
PDA and are worried about getting the finished application and any data it
needs from your PC to the PDA. If that is the case, I have good news for
you: you can do what you want to do.

At least I *think* you can do what you want to do ;-)

I have a Palm Tungsten E with no wireless connection and I can Hotsync
applications and data from my PC to my PDA. I've never used a non-Palm PDA
so I am *assuming* that you have some equivalent to a Hotsync and the
processes that I use.

In my case, the IDE I use to develop my applications is Eclipse and I use
the EclipseME to generate my MIDP programs. In the case of Palms, you have
to take the executables created in EclipseME and run them through one
additional step to convert them to PRC files; you then drop the PRC files in
the PDA's installer application and they are installed the next time you
Hotsync. In the case of non-Palm applications, I think you can install the
output from EclipseMe directly on to your PDA.
Anyone can help??
As I said, I can only give you a partial assurance that what you want to do
should be possible, assuming that your PDA has something similar to Hotsync.

However, since I don't know the situation for your specific hardware, you
should wait until you hear from someone who has developed on a similar PDA
to yours and can tell you with certainty that it is possible. They should
also be able to tell you exactly how to do it.

If you don't get an answer on this thread, there are some other forums that
I use which might be able to help:
- this forum, on Javaranch, is pretty good:
http://saloon.javaranch.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum&f=41
- there are also some J2ME forums at http://java.sun.com but I don't have a
specific link for you; you'll have to search for them yourself

Rhino