MIDP-only phone that supports raw audio recording? And how to find out...

Discussion in 'Java' started by CharlesW, Sep 27, 2006.

  1. CharlesW

    CharlesW Guest

    Greetings,

    We have an application that already runs on Symbian and Microsoft
    phones; we want a justification to to get it running on Java MIDP. The
    application requires us to do signal processing on sound received
    through the phone microphone - for example it might identify birds from
    the birdsong it hears. Unfortunately that means it can't work on AMR
    (or GSM) encoded sound.

    Has anyone encountered a MIDP phone - other than Symbian and Microsoft
    ones - that supports raw audio encodings (audio/wav or audio/raw)?

    If you have a possible phone and would like to find out you can use
    Thibaut Regnier's excellent application TastePhone
    http://wap.club-java.com/en, (direct download
    http://www.club-java.com/TastePhone/TastePhone.jad ).

    For this question, please could you run it, and wait for the results.
    Scroll down to where it says "MMAPI version". In the following fields,
    the phones we're looking for will have:
    - Supports recording: yes
    - Supports audio recording: yes
    - Audio recording contents types: <something that includes
    Encoding=audio/wav or encoding=audio/raw or encoding=audio/au>
    .... but of course not be Symbian or Microsoft phones.

    Crate of beer, large bunch of flowers, (or keys to kingdom, by
    negotiation) and my extreme gratitude for any successful candidate
    phone!

    Charles Weir
    MD
    Penrillian (http://www.penrillian.com)