    Best regards to all,
    Jean-Louis

    PS: I do have CSS as well and no frame are used so far.
    Jean-Louis Crouzet, Jun 10, 2005

  2. Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
    > 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
    > title?

    I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
    title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
    even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
    and such).

    / martin
    Martin Magnusson, Jun 10, 2005

  3. Martin Magnusson wrote:
    > Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
    >
    >> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table
    >> menu title?

    > I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
    > title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
    > even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
    > and such).
    >
    > / martin

    Thanks for this answer.

    I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
    but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
    with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want ;-)

    http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

    Have a nice day,
    JL
    Jean-Louis Crouzet, Jun 10, 2005
  4. Jean-Louis Crouzet

    Els Guest

    Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

    > Martin Magnusson wrote:
    >> Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
    >>
    >>> 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table
    >>> menu title?

    >> I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
    >> title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
    >> even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
    >> and such).

    > I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
    > but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
    > with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want ;-)
    >
    > http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

    It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size. Impossible
    afaik in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jun 10, 2005
  5. Els wrote:
    > Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
    >

    >>Martin Magnusson wrote:

    >>>I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
    >>>title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
    >>>even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
    >>>and such).

    >>I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
    >>but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
    >>with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want ;-)
    >>
    >>http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

    > It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size. Impossible
    > afaik in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox.

    This looks like a solid answer, thanks. I guess I have to do with it... JL
    Jean-Louis Crouzet, Jun 10, 2005
  6. Els wrote:

    > It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size.

    Its a very bad idea though. If a user wants to change the font size, then
    its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 10, 2005
  7. Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

    > 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
    > title?

    You can't. Even in IE the user can override your font size selections
    (although its a lot of work for the user, and you shouldn't make them jump
    through such hoops). Variables font sizes are a fact of life when working
    with web media.

    Web media is not TV media, nor print media, nor radio media. Embrace the
    differences and design to take advantage of the flexibility it provides for
    readers.

    > 2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

    Probably because they have different default settings (or you have syntax
    errors and are encountering different error recovery systems).

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 10, 2005
  8. Jean-Louis Crouzet

    Els Guest

    David Dorward wrote:

    >> It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size.

    > Its a very bad idea though. If a user wants to change the font size, then
    > its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

    Indeed. I should have mentioned that.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Jun 10, 2005
  9. Jean-Louis Crouzet

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 17:24:31 +0200, Jean-Louis Crouzet
    <> wrote:

    >1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
    >title?

    You don't. It's a bad idea, don't do it. Read the group for why.

    >2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

    Read the group for why.

    "Sizing" in general is one of the half-dozen most popular topics in this
    newsgroup.
    Andy Dingley, Jun 10, 2005
  10. Jean-Louis Crouzet

    Si Guest

    Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

    > 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
    > title?

    You can in IE, but not advisable to. Your user may be someone with sight
    problems who needs larger text to read properly. You will put this
    person off your website. In other browsers, the font is scaled according
    to their settings. It is possible for a user to over-ride your fixed
    font size in IE, but most people probably don't know how to do this.
    It's best to leave things as simple as possible for your viewers.

    > 2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

    This could again be a difference in font size setting between browsers,
    hard to tell without a URL to look at. If you are using text within <p>
    tags inside table cells, IE produces different results that standards
    based browsers.

    > PS: I do have CSS as well and no frame are used so far.

    Frames and CSS shouldn't have any effect on the output, good you havn't
    used frames though.

    HTH
    Si
    Si, Jun 10, 2005
  11. Jean-Louis Crouzet

    Ian Rastall Guest

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 19:31:42 +0100, David Dorward <>
    wrote:

    >If a user wants to change the font size, then
    >its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

    Very true. I think it's better to work around problems like that, than
    to set absolute size for text.

    Ian
    --
    Was it not a comedy, a strange and stupid
    matter, this repetition, this running around
    Ian Rastall, Jun 13, 2005
  12. Jean-Louis Crouzet

    neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, Jean-Louis Crouzet quothed:

    > 1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
    > title?

    Use images of the text.

    > 2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

    The 2 browsers do calculate cell sizes differently but usually this is
    because of the markup and how font sizes are applied to the table and
    parts thereof. One bad thing is to leave an uncovered </td>; always put
    something in front of it.

    --
    Neredbojias
    neredbojias, Jun 13, 2005
  13. neredbojias wrote:
    > Without quill or qualm, Jean-Louis Crouzet quothed:
    >

    >>1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
    >>title?

    > Use images of the text.
    >

    >>2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

    > The 2 browsers do calculate cell sizes differently but usually this is
    > because of the markup and how font sizes are applied to the table and
    > parts thereof. One bad thing is to leave an uncovered </td>; always put
    > something in front of it.

    First many thanks to all, I understand the size matter for people who
    can't read menu item. Well let say that I made my font larger than the
    mouse... ;-)
    Anyway I might need to reconsider that. Thanks for this advise.

    But again, I found out that cell size computation is not exactly the
    only differences for table interpretation under various browser. One
    other item which this time I found painfull this that MSIE do not
    respond to this css thing, but Mozilla does like a charm.

    ..dm_table td:hover
    {
    background-color: #9f9f9f;
    }

    Well this time, I going to search the whole difference catalog of course
    version based. Or may be shall URL the correct browser pointer to see my
    site (still playing to try to understand...).
    I saw many site are using specific switching method based on browser but
    initially I was trying to make things simple, looks like I can't.

    Again, thanks to all.

    JL
    Jean-Louis Crouzet, Jun 13, 2005
  14. Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

    > First many thanks to all, I understand the size matter for people who
    > can't read menu item. Well let say that I made my font larger than the
    > mouse... ;-)

    Do you mean "larger than the mouse pointer on your system"? Its not
    difficult to configure most systems to use a larger mouse pointer (nor is
    it difficult to use keyboard control for most applications).

    > One other item which this time I found painfull this that MSIE do not
    > respond to this css thing, but Mozilla does like a charm.
    >
    > .dm_table td:hover

    Internet Explorer doesn't support :hover except on links.

    Home is where the ~/.bashrc is
    David Dorward, Jun 13, 2005
  15. David Dorward wrote:
    > Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:
    >

    >>First many thanks to all, I understand the size matter for people who
    >>can't read menu item. Well let say that I made my font larger than the
    >>mouse... ;-)

    > Do you mean "larger than the mouse pointer on your system"? Its not
    > difficult to configure most systems to use a larger mouse pointer (nor is
    > it difficult to use keyboard control for most applications).
    >

    >>One other item which this time I found painfull this that MSIE do not
    >>respond to this css thing, but Mozilla does like a charm.
    >>
    >>.dm_table td:hover

    > Internet Explorer doesn't support :hover except on links.

    Hi David,
    I have to agree on your valuable comments and I'm thinking on a work
    around to find out which view scale factor is being used and then resize
    dynamically my table items... Well to a certain maximum size of course.
    Looking at first (as is) effect, cells already redimmemsion themself but
    of course all my graphics are just messed up. May be not that important
    compare to a basic usage.
    Thanks,
    JL
    Jean-Louis Crouzet, Jun 14, 2005