Might not be pure HTML but I guess it's part of it...

Jean-Louis Crouzet

Hi all,

looks like the right place to drop a question and collect relevant
answer/url. I have dynamic menu thing I've done using PHP/HTML and some
JavaScript based on a MySQL server...well knowing that I started from
scratch two month ago thing goes now the way I was thinking initialy,
BUT I have two questions

1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

Best regards to all,
Jean-Louis

PS: I do have CSS as well and no frame are used so far.

Martin Magnusson

Jean-Louis Crouzet said:
1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
and such).

/ martin

Jean-Louis Crouzet

Martin said:
I don't believe you can. You can specify which font size you /want/ the
title to have, but the browser can override it. Some browsers may not
even support different font sizes at all (cell phones and text browsers
and such).

/ martin
Thanks for this answer.

I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want ;-)

http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

Have a nice day,
JL

Els

Jean-Louis Crouzet said:
I think it's possible I saw it more than once working at least with MSIE
but true disabled with Netscape or Mozilla. Just see this site and play
with font size setting under MSIE at least this is what I want ;-)

http://www.lesjeudis.com/index.html

It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size. Impossible
afaik in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox.

Jean-Louis Crouzet

Els said:
Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size. Impossible
afaik in Mozilla/Netscape/Firefox.
This looks like a solid answer, thanks. I guess I have to do with it... JL

David Dorward

It's easy to do for IE; just use px for the font-size.

Its a very bad idea though. If a user wants to change the font size, then
its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

David Dorward

Jean-Louis Crouzet said:
1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

You can't. Even in IE the user can override your font size selections
(although its a lot of work for the user, and you shouldn't make them jump
through such hoops). Variables font sizes are a fact of life when working
with web media.

Web media is not TV media, nor print media, nor radio media. Embrace the
differences and design to take advantage of the flexibility it provides for
readers.
2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

Probably because they have different default settings (or you have syntax
errors and are encountering different error recovery systems).

Els

David said:
Its a very bad idea though. If a user wants to change the font size, then
its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

Indeed. I should have mentioned that.

Andy Dingley

1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

You don't. It's a bad idea, don't do it. Read the group for why.

2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

Read the group for why.

"Sizing" in general is one of the half-dozen most popular topics in this
newsgroup.

Si

Jean-Louis Crouzet said:
1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

You can in IE, but not advisable to. Your user may be someone with sight
problems who needs larger text to read properly. You will put this
person off your website. In other browsers, the font is scaled according
to their settings. It is possible for a user to over-ride your fixed
font size in IE, but most people probably don't know how to do this.
It's best to leave things as simple as possible for your viewers.
2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

This could again be a difference in font size setting between browsers,
hard to tell without a URL to look at. If you are using text within <p>
tags inside table cells, IE produces different results that standards
based browsers.
PS: I do have CSS as well and no frame are used so far.

Frames and CSS shouldn't have any effect on the output, good you havn't
used frames though.

HTH
Si

Ian Rastall

If a user wants to change the font size, then
its probably because they can't read it at the size the author specified!

Very true. I think it's better to work around problems like that, than
to set absolute size for text.

Ian

neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Jean-Louis Crouzet quothed:
1) How could I disable the browser font resizing effect on my table menu
title?

Use images of the text.
2) How it come that my table/row/cell size differ from Mozilla and MSIE?

The 2 browsers do calculate cell sizes differently but usually this is
because of the markup and how font sizes are applied to the table and
parts thereof. One bad thing is to leave an uncovered </td>; always put
something in front of it.

Jean-Louis Crouzet

neredbojias said:
Without quill or qualm, Jean-Louis Crouzet quothed:

Use images of the text.

The 2 browsers do calculate cell sizes differently but usually this is
because of the markup and how font sizes are applied to the table and
parts thereof. One bad thing is to leave an uncovered </td>; always put
something in front of it.
First many thanks to all, I understand the size matter for people who
can't read menu item. Well let say that I made my font larger than the
mouse... ;-)
Anyway I might need to reconsider that. Thanks for this advise.

But again, I found out that cell size computation is not exactly the
only differences for table interpretation under various browser. One
other item which this time I found painfull this that MSIE do not
respond to this css thing, but Mozilla does like a charm.

..dm_table td:hover
{
background-color: #9f9f9f;
}

Well this time, I going to search the whole difference catalog of course
version based. Or may be shall URL the correct browser pointer to see my
site (still playing to try to understand...).
I saw many site are using specific switching method based on browser but
initially I was trying to make things simple, looks like I can't.

Again, thanks to all.

JL

David Dorward

Jean-Louis Crouzet said:
First many thanks to all, I understand the size matter for people who
can't read menu item. Well let say that I made my font larger than the
mouse... ;-)

Do you mean "larger than the mouse pointer on your system"? Its not
difficult to configure most systems to use a larger mouse pointer (nor is
it difficult to use keyboard control for most applications).
One other item which this time I found painfull this that MSIE do not
respond to this css thing, but Mozilla does like a charm.

.dm_table td:hover

Internet Explorer doesn't support :hover except on links.

Jean-Louis Crouzet

David said:
Jean-Louis Crouzet wrote:

Do you mean "larger than the mouse pointer on your system"? Its not
difficult to configure most systems to use a larger mouse pointer (nor is
it difficult to use keyboard control for most applications).

Internet Explorer doesn't support :hover except on links.
Hi David,
I have to agree on your valuable comments and I'm thinking on a work
around to find out which view scale factor is being used and then resize
dynamically my table items... Well to a certain maximum size of course.
Looking at first (as is) effect, cells already redimmemsion themself but
of course all my graphics are just messed up. May be not that important
compare to a basic usage.
Thanks,
JL