Migrate ASP 3.0 applications to ASP.NET

Guest

I would like to know that is there any need to Migrate ASP 3.0 applications
to ASP.NET
Is there any Cease or end of lifecycle of products on ASP 3.0 and associated
web based products announced by Microsoft, I have tried across all Microsoft
sites for this information but not able to find any thing relevant

Bruno Alexandre

No need for that... :)

I'm an ASP 3.0 Programmer and I still do things in the old way.

I already read a BLOG from a MS guy saying just that, ASP.NET is a new
way of web programming, not a new version of ASP 3.0, ASP Classic will
always be supported...

Off course it doesnt offer as much things, the performance is worst that
the new ASP.NET, security as well... but still... ASP 3.0 is ASP 3.0 :)
and I'm starting to move on to ASP.NET, only for a new Business Web
Application, I i will never convert my old stuff... even yesterday I
finish a simple website with some ASP 3.0 scripts :) (AdRotator and a
simple Menu reading from an Access Database) - www.santiagofoods.com

This is my opinion on the matter, hope I could help.

Bruno Alexandre
"a Portuguese in København, Danmark"

Guest

I am the kind of guy that knits a brow when he looks at an ASP.NET 1.1
application becuase he thinks it's obsolete technology and people should move
on to better things in life - but honestly - in a real world - the real
question is - why should I spend time and money to migrate a system that
works?

The answer is often not as straight forward. Here's the deal - Do you still
support and maintain the system? Do you still add features to it? If you do
you should seriously think on atleast designing your new components on
ASP.NET - that way you'll be much more productive and doing more with lesser
code. The Neat thing about DotNet is that you can take ASP code and run it
"as is" on IIS with DotNet. So the question is not 'do you need to upgrade'
but rather 'why not upgrade??'

If i were you, i would move my application to a DotNet based Server, design
a couple of new components on ASP.NET 2.0 and then sloowly, as and when time
permits, migrate one page at a time to ASP.NET 2.0. But Thats just me... :)

Cheers,
Rajiv.

Juan T. Llibre

The answer is, of course : does the application still serve its purpose ?

If your ASP 3.0 application can handle the needs of its clients,
there's absolutely no need to migrate it to ASP.NET 2.0.

The largest benefits ASP.NET 2.0 offers, besides architectural and
code management considerations, are its scalability and efficiency factors.

ASP 3.0 runs on interpreted languages so it's noticeably slower than ASP.NET 2.0,
although a bit more efficiency can be obtained by compiling code to dll's either with
C++ or VB6.

But, whenever you need to change any compiled code, you have to stop your whole site.

ASP.NET 2.0 delivers much more throughput because, after the initial compilation,
your site is running from memory. Also, you can hot-swap assemblies.

There is no "end of lifecycle" for ASP. You can use it from here to eternity if you wish.
MS support for it will end at some point in the future, though.

You should only migrate your applications if you need better performance
than you're getting ( if the website is choking on too many visitors, for example )
or if you will benefit from the management advantages that OOP provides.

Those are the key improvements which ASP.NET boasts over ASP 3.0.