migrating Access app to ASP.NET?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jerome, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Jerome

    Jerome Guest

    Hi there,

    I've got an MS Access application with multiple tables, queries, forms
    (and sub-forms!), reports ...

    It would be neat if that application could be migrated to ASP.NET since
    it wouldn't require the installation process anymore of each new user
    who is supposed to work with it and the Office version hassle (97, 2000,
    2004 etc) would be over too.

    Now my question, is that really feasible? Access provides a GUI
    experience that seems hard to simulate on a web interface.

    Simple 'things' in Access seem to be difficult to emulate in the
    browser: direct editing in forms; subforms (are subforms even
    possible???); querying data from a second opened form; reports; ...

    So when is it useful to make a web interface and when is it useful to
    use ACCESS? Can an Access application be built using ASP.NET without
    having to invest x times the amount of work in it?

    Or would the solution be hybrid? Web for some users/tasks, Access for
    others? But it seems weird to split the app in two?

    Thanks everyone,

    Jerome

    Jerome, Apr 29, 2004

  2. Jerome

    Sal Rosario Guest

    Good question. I can only speak for myself. If an application will be
    deployed to a specific set of users on a LAN, I'd go with the richness of an
    Access front-end any day. But if an application will be accessed by a random
    or undefined number of users, you need to build a web interface because you
    cannot predit who will use your application.

    For example, I rolled out a class registration database for a client with an
    ASP front-end because it will be used by all its 600 and so employees to
    enroll in classes. No way you are going to roll that out as an Access
    front-end to all those people, right? So pretty much, it is a web "service".

    --
    Regards,

    Sal Rosario
    Microsoft Access Database Cosultant
    www.salrosario.com

    Sal Rosario, Apr 30, 2004

  3. Jerome

    Arvin Meyer Guest

    If you have very simple forms you may be able to duplicate their functions
    in a web application. If the forms are complex, there is no way that you can
    duplicate the richness of an Access form in a web application. You cannot
    really do subforms in a web application, but there are similar things like a
    form in an I-Frame. The biggest problem is expense. It will take at least 3
    times as long and often as much as 5 or 6 times as long to build a web
    application as to build an Access application.

    For wide area networks, there isn't much choice unless you go with Terminal
    Services, which can cost even more under certain circumstances.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    Microsoft Access

    Arvin Meyer, Apr 30, 2004
  4. Jerome

    Mark Andrews Guest

    In my experience I only use pure Access applications for small niche
    applications
    that do not have many users. Everything else ends up going the SQl
    Server/Web interface
    route.

    One hybrid approach is to migrate the reporting side of your Access
    application to the web
    and keep all data entry etc... using a full Access application. My company
    makes a product to
    help get Access reports to the web without requiring you to make many
    changes in the reports
    themselves. A good deal of applications have a few users that enter data
    and a larger audience
    that looks at the data using reports etc...

    HTH,
    Mark
    RPT Software
    http://www.rptsoftware.com