    Are there any 3rd party frameworks/libraries that could be used to
    accomplish this?
    Thank You
    =?Utf-8?B?Q1M=?=, Jul 28, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Q1M=?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "CS" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > We have a huge fat client database enabled application.
    > It is a MDI app with a very rich graphic interface and hundreds of
    > different
    > screens and dialog windows.
    > There is a lot of client side processing, validation, file manipulation
    > even
    > interaction with 3rd party apps (i.e Microsoft Office).
    > Is it possible to migrate this type of an app to run as a Web app using
    > ASP
    > .Net?

    Yes, but you must really take a step back first and understand the
    difference between WinForms and WebForms...

    Firstly, the Request - Response architecture of web applications really does
    not have any equivalent of the MDI architecture which is possible with
    WinForms:
    http://www.c-sharpcorner.com/Upload...rticleID=bfb8d69a-d9ee-444e-aeb9-c0f64c0c7516
    You'll have to completely re-design that aspect of it.

    Secondly, it will make a HUGE difference whether your app is going to run on
    an internal intranet or the public Internet. If the latter, then you must
    live within the security constraints that this will impose upon you, not to
    mention cross-browser / cross-platform compatibility. If the former, then
    you have a lot more options, specifically with regard to client-side
    interoperability with COM servers such as Microsoft Office etc.

    > Are there any 3rd party frameworks/libraries that could be used to
    > accomplish this?

    Not really - there certainly is no silver bullet which will turn a WinForms
    app into a WebForms app at the flick of a switch.

    Also, you don't mention what software your current app is written in...
    Mark Rae, Jul 28, 2006

  3. Mark,
    Thank you.
    The application is written in Power Builder.
    Our app is an object oriented app, we created our own framework where we
    relly heavilly on inheritance of graphic objects (windows, dialog boxes, tab
    controls ....).
    Is this something that we can acomplish in ASP . Net? Is it possible to
    build some sort of OO framework with web forms where you inherit from base
    classes forms?
    Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?Q1M=?=, Jul 28, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Q1M=?=

    Mark Rae Guest

    "CS" <> wrote in message

    > The application is written in Power Builder.
    > Our app is an object oriented app, we created our own framework where we
    > relly heavilly on inheritance of graphic objects (windows, dialog boxes,
    > tab
    > controls ....).
    > Is this something that we can acomplish in ASP . Net? Is it possible to
    > build some sort of OO framework with web forms where you inherit from base
    > classes forms?

    Hmm - not really. Like I said, you really need to forget all about WinForms
    and get yourself into a WebForms mindset, specifically with regard to
    ASP.NET.

    E.g. in the latest version of ASP.NET, there are MasterPages - templates if
    you like. They essentially provide a skeleton into which content is placed.
    So, if you had 100 WebForms all of which had to have the same header, menu
    and footer, you would create the MasterPage once and then each of the
    content pages individually. It is also possible to tell a content page to
    use a different MasterPage at runtime.

    But that's just the GUI. Behind that, of course, you have access to the
    whole .NET Framework (or, at least, as much of it as can be accessed by
    ASP.NET) which will give you full object-orientated functionality - base
    classes, inheritance, encapsulation, polymorphism - the works.

    Then, of course, you have ADO.NET for database connectivity.

    I think the two best pieces of advice I can give you are:

    1) buy a decent beginner's guide to ASP.NET - you generally can't do much
    better than Wrox:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...098965/ref=sr_1_2/104-1279433-9167152?ie=UTF8

    Read it and work through the examples.

    Then, try this:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/07...098965/ref=sr_1_4/104-1279433-9167152?ie=UTF8

    2) Don't make the mistake of thinking that you can upgrade a PowerBuilder
    desktop app to an ASP.NET app. By all means, use your existing app as a
    prototype, but you really need to redesign it from the ground up.
    Mark Rae, Jul 28, 2006
  5. Thank You for the advice...

    =?Utf-8?B?Q1M=?=, Jul 28, 2006