    convert our components to web services or something else ?

    Any comments would be very welcome.

    Mike Towers
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=, Nov 30, 2004

  2. Hi Mike,

    According to this, you should be able to use your COM+ without recompiling:

    http://windows.oreilly.com/news/developasp_0301.html

    Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP], Nov 30, 2004

  3. Hi Mike.

    You can import the Type Library in your
    COM components, and use them in ASP.NET,
    with TLBImp.exe.

    Run something like this line at the command line:

    TLBImp C:\yourpath\yourCOM.DLL /Out:C:\yourpath\NewName.DLL

    That will create a RCW (Runtime Callable Wrapper) NewName.DLL
    at C:\yourpath.

    Then, add it to the project reference from Menu Project
    > Add Reference ... > Browse ...

    For more information on tlbimp.exe, see

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ls/html/cpgrftypelibraryimportertlbimpexe.asp

    Full instructions are found at :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...pguide/html/cpconPrimaryInteropAssemblies.asp

    and
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...l/cpcongeneratingprimaryinteropassemblies.asp
    has specific instructions on how to generate them.

    Good luck!

    Juan T. Llibre
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre [MVP], Nov 30, 2004
  4. Yes you can use your COM+ components with ASP.Net. Yes, there are
    performance issues with Interop. I would recommend that you rewrite your COM
    components as .Net class libraries, if it is at all feasible.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 30, 2004
  5. But, as a stopgap measure, until the applications
    are fully ported to ASP.NET, InterOP does provide
    an easy way to use the existing work, a way which,
    except for very traffic-intensive applications, will
    serve its purpose.

    If you're not marshalling, the performance drag isn't much.

    A tool like Compuware DevPartner Studio,
    is of help in determing the exact performance drag,
    and whether it's time for rewriting, or InterOP will do.

    See http://www.vsj.co.uk/dotnet/display.asp?id=174

    Juan T. Llibre
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre [MVP], Nov 30, 2004
  6. When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a bit like
    writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about calling
    the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT Namespace
    syntax in the ASP page ?

    Thanks

    Mike

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=, Nov 30, 2004
  7. Hi Mike,

    Everything in .Net is a class. Even the Page. So, you just create your
    classes and reference them in the classes that need them. The import
    directive is a pre-compile directive that allows you to omit the full
    namespace of a class when referencing it in your code.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 30, 2004
  8. Last question.

    Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into an
    assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
    Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something like
    that ?

    Thanks

    Mike Towers

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=, Nov 30, 2004
  9. NO REGISTRATION! Thats the kool part. You just have to reference the
    assemply in your project. However, you can register it in the Global Assembly
    Gache; but you have to give it a digital signature. No more .dll hell.
    However, just Copy and Paste will deploy your app; but for a web app you
    should but it in a special folder called bin which is located either in the
    root directory of your website wwwroot/bin OR the root directory of your
    virtual directory.

    =?Utf-8?B?VGFtcGEgLk5FVCBLb2Rlcg==?=, Nov 30, 2004
  10. > Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into
    an
    > assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
    > Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something

    like
    > that ?

    Just put them in the /bin folder of your app. That is one of the beauties of
    ..Net. No registration necessary.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    > Last question.
    >
    > Ok, so if I create a new class to replace my component and build it into

    an
    > assembly or whatever, how do I go about getting onto the web server.
    > Obviously I copy the files but do I need to register them or something

    like
    > that ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Mike Towers
    >
    > "Kevin Spencer" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi Mike,
    > >
    > > Everything in .Net is a class. Even the Page. So, you just create your
    > > classes and reference them in the classes that need them. The import
    > > directive is a pre-compile directive that allows you to omit the full
    > > namespace of a class when referencing it in your code.
    > >
    > > --
    > > HTH,
    > > Kevin Spencer
    > > ..Net Developer
    > > Microsoft MVP
    > > Neither a follower
    > > nor a lender be.
    > >
    > > "Mike Towers" <> wrote in message
    > > > When you say rewrite them as .Net class libraries I assume that is a

    bit
    > > like
    > > > writing an old style C++ class library? and if so how do I go about

    > > calling
    > > > the code in the class library ? Is it a case of using the IMPORT

    > > Namespace
    > > > syntax in the ASP page ?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > Mike

    your
    > > COM

    message

    Kevin Spencer, Nov 30, 2004
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=

    Orin Walker Guest

    If you do go the COM route, I would highly recommend the book:
    ..NET and COM: The Complete Interoperability Guide
    by Adam Nathan
    ISBN: 067232170X

    It has been a very valuable reference!

    Orin
    Orin Walker, Nov 30, 2004
  12. Thanks to everyone for their help I now have a clearer picture of what I need
    to do.

    Mike Towers

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBUb3dlcnM=?=, Nov 30, 2004